You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Corner Tool on Added Geometry....

Hi All,

Got a question regarding the Corner Tool. I was making a trace of a letter set where the "S" was easiest to make using simple rectangles overlaid then merged via the "Add" tool. Whilst this worked perfectly this font has rounded corners which when I tried to apply to specific corners using the corner tool, affected adjacent curves also. 

Referring to the image below "A" is the corner I am applying the curved corner to.

Corners.JPG

If you select the top two nodes and use the corner tool, one of the corners is inverted, the fix is to select the concave corner to effectively invert it. Crazy eh!

You can almost fix the first instance error by doing the same thing, you need to zoom right in to get it to a very very very very small rounded corner that you can’t see.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Appreciate the help guys, luvin Designer making CS6 a distant memory for me. I use a lot of software to make paid for content but not consistently enough on some (like this) to remember it all. I set a task and try to do it then learn what doesn't work. In this respect I am finding Designer very easy to get a result if not mastering it.

If you want to see something even crazier, flip the “S” shape around the horizontal axis and all hell breaks loose.

400072989_ScreenShot2020-05-01at18_42_09.png.aa4f771f5389754f8c07ead97460ec7b.png

I think someone has got some math wrong, or there is a rebel semi-colon on the loose in the code, either way the matrix is glitching. 🤔

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Yep Mac 10.13.6 High Sierra, I stayed on 1.8.2 I might try with the last beta, looks like it’s fixed in the beta version.

AD 1.8.3 on macOS Mojave for me. Reduced to its simplest form, it seems that if 2 rectangles of the same height are added, the Corner Tool glitch is triggered. If the heights are different, it is not:

1416914877_Cornertoolglitch.jpg.808d439117255076d68cc41eda5b33d3.jpg

Corner tool glitch.afdesign

(The same thing happens if the rectangles are converted to curves first.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I just downloaded your file and do not see what your screenshot shows. I am on Mac OS 10.14.6. I also have and use a Wacom tablet for all drawing and regular mousing about.

780300410_ScreenShot2020-05-02at7_46_28AM.png.499fc6c67093f199cd4fd7dd9e686193.png

All the shapes work as one would expect. I also could not the behaviour on documents I created. This is quite strange.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I just downloaded your file and do not see what your screenshot shows.

Now, I don't either! In fact, after just closing my original file & opening it again, I no longer see the glitch.

But I do get glitches if I start with just 2 rectangles & boolean add them ... except now it is pairs that start off with different heights that glitch.

Either way, just closing & reopening the file fixes the glitch, removing the weird 'inverted' corner node.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

46 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Now, I don't either! In fact, after just closing my original file & opening it again, I no longer see the glitch.

But I do get glitches if I start with just 2 rectangles & boolean add them ... except now it is pairs that start off with different heights that glitch.

Either way, just closing & reopening the file fixes the glitch, removing the weird 'inverted' corner node.

I may have found another piece to the puzzle, I have been overlapping my objects, your object "Different Heights" has two rectangles which are butted up against each other. That recipe will mess things up for me here too. And I am pretty sure that the glitch is not a circle/arc. You can see in the top left where I started the only corner circle. The yellow disks are" just for looking at." (to quote Dan George from The Outlaw Josey Wales).

1016644392_ScreenShot2020-05-02at3_53_23PM.png.583928d13a481063f46dd4efaf6e7e70.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I may have found another piece to the puzzle, I have been overlapping my objects, your object "Different Heights" has two rectangles which are butted up against each other. That recipe will mess things up for me here too.

I have tested with overlapping rectangles & ones that are snapped exactly edge-to-edge. Either way, sometimes the unselected adjacent corner node is affected & sometimes not.

The only thing I have found so far that is 100% consistent is saving, closing, & reopening the file returns the unselected adjacent corner node to its original unrounded shape.

Affinity Photo 

Strange thing, I downloaded   @R C-R 's file, and rounded the middle line corners without glitch:

2020-05-03_075357.png.ed30803f00fe8b877bfaefbc0d01f6c8.png

But looking at the last object, I was wondering if the file was save before he rounded the last corner…

So, why not try to round the first line too?

2020-05-03_075609.png.a81d5786530adc5cc207ffef8ef8cfc2.png

Bug!

Next one: no bug. When it's usually the one bugged.

2020-05-03_075629.png.eccb726b643fa1ae419f318f37098ec1.png

Now, last question: is it a glitch? What happens if I saveand reopen the file (it wasn't saved in R C-R's file):
the object isselected, but without the last round corner on the right object, nor the buged corners in the 1st object (butthe last object select is selected)

2020-05-03_080559.png.155153e6b47a1837e638d1e8f61f9621.png

And I can round its corner:

2020-05-03_080614.png.79044391bfc7608e385ee53de9ab6bad.png

[edit] I should have updated the page, since you talked about this in the last posts, but there wasn't any notice [/edit]

• Staff

Hi Angryman,

If you save and reopen your file after the 'Add' operation, the corner tool should then function correctly. R C-R's file demonstrates this (and also why his example in the file looks correct on reopening). This is something we had reported to development and we believed was fixed, however it looks like there are still some files causing this. 

I'll get this reopened and pass on R C-R's file. If you could attach your file prior to the Add operation I will also get that passed on.

Thanks for letting us know.

Sorry Sean,

Just uploaded to Dropbox and realised I had since gone over the boxes with the pen tool to overcome the problem and then deleted the problem geometry.

This "is" the file it was done in though so I can quickly recreate the issue and re-upload if you give me a moment.