You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rough Idea: Swatch Symbols

What if we could choose colors for a design and then turn them into Swatch Symbols? Symbols work with objects but it'd awesome reuse a colors in a design (ex: Brand Primary Color) the same way. Maybe there could be a Swatch Symbols palette. Just a rough idea. I'd love to define a color and use that color in a design and then modify that color swatch which would therefore update the color throughout the design.

I write a lot of CSS and using CSS Custom Properties … 

--brand-primary-color: #545187;

… for managing a theme makes handling large changes very easy. Wondering if we could have the same concept in the Affinity Suite.

12 minutes ago, HYR said:

What if we could choose colors for a design and then turn them into Swatch Symbols? Symbols work with objects but it'd awesome reuse a colors in a design (ex: Brand Primary Color) the same way. Maybe there could be a Swatch Symbols palette. Just a rough idea. I'd love to define a color and use that color in a design and then modify that color swatch which would therefore update the color throughout the design.

I write a lot of CSS and using CSS Custom Properties … 

--brand-primary-color: #545187;

… for managing a theme makes handling large changes very easy. Wondering if we could have the same concept in the Affinity Suite.

I thought for sure this could be done, I know it can be done in Indesign. I gave it a try and boy what a headache and swampy mess dealing with colours is in Affinity. Really wish they would just flat out copy Adobe in this regard rather then try and reinvent the wheel. 

Definitely a simple and useful function. I have done this many times in Indesign, working on a project using specific spot colours I created and then after adjusting them was a simple task of adjusting the swatch itself.