You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Suite and Nvidia GTX 1060 [windows]

Hello Everyone !

long time i've been here.
Well ! a good friend of mine is planing to ship me with an Nvidia GTX 1060 @6GiB VRam to help me have better experience on using my prefered design software.

My actual GPU is GeForce 210 @1GiB VRam and there isn't a real change, well it works but ...
Anything i should know about owning that GPU and running Affinity ?
i want to make sure of everything or close to everything before it reaches my door.

Thanks for helping me understand and improve.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

34 minutes ago, Ray S. said:

The sad answer is that Affinty Software doesen't make use of GPU-Acceleration on windows, at this time. But I think the good people at Serif working on it.

I do not know much in this regard, but there Affinity is not using the GPU at all? Uncle Mez is getting a significant improvement in the GPU end, going from a 210 to a 1060 with 6x the RAM which is also much faster RAM. 

• 2 months later...

Well I want to make sure before I source that GPU because i'm in such a limited budget lifestyle right now !
Also isn't GPU accelerated thing a good thing to implement on windows ?
Affinity look so fast and cool on MacOS with Metal then it does on windows right now and ... there is a need for the second ecosystem to also receive that improvement.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

That card will sit mostly idle using Affinity. I have a GTX 1050 and it's never really run into double digit utilisation, even when trying to push it. It's only used for the final render to the screen, there is no GPU compute being done, and no plans for this to be added.

4 hours ago, BofG said:

there is no GPU compute being done, and no plans for this to be added

The Developers have said it's something they have on their roadmap, but it's complex.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The Developers have said it's something they have on their roadmap, but it's complex.

I think if we are honest it's not going to happen. Certainly not soon enough to be relevant to a person considering a GPU right now.

On 10/12/2014 at 7:22 PM, MattP said:

We already have a contour tool in the back-end, and it's interactive - but it's just not finished properly at the moment... expect one to arrive one day soon!

The above was 5 1/2 years ago, this was from a request for offset path. It's still not in the software.

When I was looking to switch from Adobe I read a few posts on here, and looked at the then available road map and it influenced my decision. None of what I was looking for has been implemented in the years since. I think it's more helpful to tell people how it is - the software is great, but you get what you get, don't bank on new features coming along. I certainly wouldn't be spending hard earned cash on a decent GPU in the hope it will be properly utilised by Affinity apps before it's obsolete.

• Staff
18 hours ago, BofG said:

The above was 5 1/2 years ago, this was from a request for offset path. It's still not in the software.

This is already written and checked in to the codebase for 1.9 so you can expect to use it in Beta very soon.

Sorry for all the waiting for stuff, but as you quite rightly suggest, people should definitely buy things based on what they are, not what they hope they will one day be.

RE: GPU. On Windows, we currently only use the GPU for presenting the rendered document for the screen. As this is such a trivial operation, there won't be any noticeable performance improvements by upgrading a GPU. Once we can take advantage of the GPU for rendering the actual document, then you would notice an improvement. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 10:03 AM, Mark Ingram said:

RE: GPU. On Windows, we currently only use the GPU for presenting the rendered document for the screen. As this is such a trivial operation, there won't be any noticeable performance improvements by upgrading a GPU. Once we can take advantage of the GPU for rendering the actual document, then you would notice an improvement. 

Definitely this need to happen.
i don't how people from Mac are doing but when I make a document with lot's of layers and Fx applied there plus some polishing from APhoto the thing get's laggy and no one said 12GiB of RAM isn't enough

The hang mostly happen with APublisher but I suspect if I make massive use of APhoto or ADesigner it will surface so, GPU Acceleration is needed on Windows like ... yesterday !

TBH I like what the Serif team is doing and the way you guys work but think of us needing to stand the Challenge of Un-Adobing our lives and creations.

Thanks !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF