You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request - PDF ToC links

I was disappointed to find that when I export to PDF my ToC (and cross reference) entries are not turned into bookmarks within the PDF. 

This is something that I know that purchasers of my PDFs will expect, and other DTP software that I've used has just done this as a matter of course. Otherwise it looks like a horrible, error-prone manual job every time the PDF is regenerated.

I do hope that creating of automatic bookmarks/links is something that will be arriving in a future version of Affinity Publisher.

Thanks

Alex White

Previous versions of Publisher put the link on the page number only. I just made a PDF test with the current 1.8.3, and it puts a link on the entire TOC entry. Maybe I forgot about this improvement. Can you confirm that you are using the current version?

Also, can you confirm that the settings you chose for exporting the PDF have "Include hyperlinks" checked? Some of the PDF presets do not, such as "PDF (press ready" and "PDF/X-4."

• 1 month later...

Thanks garrettm30, that was the problem - I was using a print PDF preset which doesn't enable the option. When I switched to a web PDF then I could select the option and I had a happy TOC. 

Much obliged. 

So the feature is there - but help files don't give any way of finding it. Something for the technical writers to consider the next time they revamp the help docs, perhaps?

I'm using 1.8.3 and I have generated a nice TOC, which shows the right page numbers.
But when I export the document to PDF (digital, high quality) with the option include hyperlinks enabled, the resulting PDF does not show TOC hyperlinks in Acrobat Reader DC, PDF-XChange Editor or the browsers Edge or Vivaldi.

Did I miss some other option or should I add the hyperlinks manually?

I take that back.
I decided to regenerate the TOC as well as the PDF and the hyperlinks did materialise in all the PDF-viewers I've got.
Possibly, something had gone bad while fiddling with the TOC I generated earlier.