You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto-selecting objects when I delete something

I'm assuming this is something I've inadvertently turned on, but I can't for the life of me see where or how: whenever I delete something (in either Designer/Photo/Publisher) the program will automatically select another item rather than leave my selection blank like it always has. Very frustrating since I constantly have to click some white space to clear the selection. The 'auto-selection' randomly picks any other item on the art-board.

How can I turn this off please?!

I am not sure about this but I think this auto-select feature was introduced in one of the 1.8.x updates, either intentionally or by accident.

I do not think there is any way to turn it off.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure about this but I think this auto-select feature was introduced in one of the 1.8.x updates, either intentionally or by accident.

I do not think there is any way to turn it off.

Thank you for the info. I've had a look through prefs but can't see anything. I'm working on a website visual in Designer at the moment and its doing my head in! Surely there's a way to turn it off?! I can see how this would be useful in certain situations but generally i wouldn't want it to work this way.

If someone from Serif could confirm it I'd greatly appreciate it.

Just now, ConnectCreative said:

I've had a look through prefs but can't see anything.

I looked through both preferences & Assistant options, plus whatever I could find that might somehow change this in the context toolbar when certain tools are active, but no joy. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

I looked through both preferences & Assistant options, plus whatever I could find that might somehow change this in the context toolbar when certain tools are active, but no joy. 

Many thanks for taking the time to look through as well. I guess we'll just have to wait to see if Serif replies to confirm.

Just now, ConnectCreative said:

I guess we'll just have to wait to see if Serif replies to confirm.

Maybe @Lee D @Callum @MEB  or one of the other staff will notice the "@" tag & reply whenever they have time.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi ConnectCreative,
Yes, this behaviour was changed in v1.8x. There's currently no way to turn it off but since a few users didn't liked it either we are considering adding an option to turn it off in an upcoming build.

Hi @MEB many thanks for confirming that, it would be great if there was a pref to turn this off in the near future. Thank you!