You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Equation to stretch equirectangular photos

This is a long shot, but I’ve really no idea where to begin, but it seems do-able?

I am looking for an equation that makes equirectangular images look like a panorama.

A friend showed me a Photoshop plug in that could transform an equirectangular image to Mercator projection. And if I trim the top and bottom off it’s a great way to create panoramas of people.
I’ve added some examples below. First I double the image height, then apply some form of equation, that stretches more as it goes out from the center.

Its not a simple doubling of size, it needs to have a slow growth from the middle put to look “normal” again.

Sorry to just ask out of the blue, but I’ve had a look at equation examples on these forums, and then googled maths equations and can’t even figure out where to start!

60DF08FA-E0B2-434F-A3A9-BE70B5CD6413.jpeg

F4D85F6E-EE62-4F95-AFE0-ED51958232B6.jpeg

Edited by MaximusNZ

I would start here

y+(150*a)*sin(360*y/h) 

The Parameter A Slider controls the effect

But you will probably need to tweak a few things either in the Equation or before/after applying it

beforeafter.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 years later...