You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Closing Curve Deletes Point Handle

Hello!

I am trying to combine 2 curves together at their endpoints to create a closed curve. Each endpoint has 1 handle that sets the curve shape. When I use the node tool to use the 'Join Curves' command, AD will join the two curves and combine one set of endpoints while preserving the original handle orientation at the joined point.

Now that I have a single curve, I want to close the shape. Dragging the remaining two endpoints on top of each other will close the curve, but deletes one of the handles! This ruins the symmetry of the design. Using the 'Close Curve' command adds a straight line between the two remaining endpoints. If the two points are aligned on top of each other this doesn't cause any immediate problems. However, this causes workflow problems down the line by causing disjointed strokes (after doing the Layers -> Expand Stroke Command), which are an essential step to creating offsets because AD doesn't support an offset tool at this time.

This issue was reported 2 years ago and the linked post contains a video of the issue:

Has this been corrected in a patch I can download, or are there any community accepted workarounds?

Edited by KB_Aero
typo - added detail

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A possible workaround exists if your curve has a sharp node somewhere.

1) Break the curve at a sharp node.

2) Separate the two resulting sharp nodes a bit by moving ONE of them (this way one node will retain the initial position and you can snap the moved one back at the end).

3) Disable 'Curve Snapping', i.e. use only 'Global Snap' (otherwise you'll stumble right into another bug that doesn't let you weld/merge the nodes in step 4 without creating an additional line between them).

4) Snap the smooth nodes together.

5) Select both smooth nodes.

6) Click Join Curves.

7) Snap the moved sharp node back to its sister node, closing the curve.

Hope it helps

There is another way (a bit a strange way - but best in my opinion).

1.) You duplicate the curve to be mirrored with Ctrl + J.
So that it is in its own layer the mirrored curve.

2.) Then you position this mirrored curve to the other curve, so that it results in one whole object; that you wanted.

3.) Now you select both layers and connect both curves with the Geometry Button "Add".

NOW THE SOLUTION/Strange Way to get what you asked here:

4.) Now you delete the color fill (if you have one) and only give an outline color/stroke to this Object (but it have to be not too thick that stroke, so that the object does not deform really because that stroke color).

5.) Now click Layer > expand Stroke. 
Now you get two parallel strokes as that object.

6.) And now you can now delete the outer stroke, by simply holding the shift key and first of marcing all nodes of the outer stroke.
And then click Delete to delete that outer stroke.

And now you have only the inner stroke = YOUR OBJECT WITH A PERFECT, CLOSED, ONE, ENTIRE CURVE.

FINISHED. 
Now you have only the inner stroke as a perfect object/as a mirrored entire curve one object result.

Sorry for my english. Is not my first language.