Hi, i ran into weird brush opacity issue in AP 1.8. See the attached image. What i did:

1. Create new document (attached)
2. Select Brush tool via 'B' shortcut
3. Select Brush 2
4. Select 'Black 50%' color swatch from the Grays palette
5. Draw upper left X
6. Select Brush 1
7. Draw middle left X
8. Select Brush 2
9. Draw bottom left X.

Here is the issue: why there seems to be opacity in the color/brush?!?!
If i switch to Move tool, and then back to Brush, and redo everything (right side), it happens again.

Windows 10 64bit Home, AP 1.8.3.641

Cheers

-k

brush_issue.png

brush_issue.afphoto

You need to export your brushes and upload them so we can import those too.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You need to compare the characteristics of brush 1 and brush 2. At step 6 in your recipe, and at step 8, you might show us a screenshot of the Context Toolbar, and also a screenshot of the dialog you get when you press the More button on the Context Toolbar.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

Hi guys, used brushes are from default installation and as far i could tell, the context toolbar didn't change. I will export brushes and try to create video that shows everything...after work

-k

It looks like Brush 1 is setting "Set Wet Edges on" so when you next use Brush 2 it is also now set to "Set Wet Edges on".

One of the reasons Brush 1 does not appear to paint (like you would expect to see) with "Set Wet Edges on" could be if the "Custom" box next to that setting in the brush's configuration is also ticked. 

The above is one way I can replicate what you are seeing, there may be other ways too

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

The above is one way I can replicate what you are seeing, there may be other ways too

Which is why it would be good to see the Context Toolbar and the More dialog for the 2 brushes, at the steps I suggested. Otherwise we're guessing :)

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

1 hour ago, Ray S. said:

Yes it is like Carl123 mentioned, Brush 1 is setting "Wet edges" on and this is transfered to Brush 2.

Yes, and in particular because brush 1 turns wet edges on, and brush 2 leaves the wet edges setting however it found it (that is, brush 2 neither turns it on nor turns it off).

What is interesting to me, though, is that the brush strokes from brush 1 do not appear to have the wet edges effect applied. I see that (as Carl surmised) the Custom box is ticked, but I do not yet understand the effect that box has, and the Help has very little information on it.

-- Walt

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

the Custom box is ticked, but I do not yet understand the effect that box has, and the Help has very little information on it.

"Wet edges" remaps the opacity of the pixels output by the brush. It's the same as a Curves Adjustment with target channel set to Alpha, but affecting a brush instead of entire layers.

34 minutes ago, anon2 said:

"Wet edges" remaps the opacity of the pixels output by the brush. It's the same as a Curves Adjustment with target channel set to Alpha, but affecting a brush instead of entire layers.

Thanks, and OK, but how does the "Custom" box affect that? The Help says only that (with my emphasis😞

Wet edges—sets the default 'wet edge' behaviour of the brush. Select from the pop-up menu. Check Custom and apply a preset or custom profile, which subtly changes how watery the stroke appears.
The 'wet edge' behaviour builds paint up along the edges of your pixel brush stroke, producing a watercolour effect.

-- Walt

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, and OK, but how does the "Custom" box affect that?

Ticking the Custom checkbox tells the brush to override the default wet edges profile with the curve that's accessed for editing by clicking the tiny graph button to the right of the label Custom.