You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Missing Font warning

I have a number of files that I use for templates, and in almost all of them I get a "missing font" warning whenever I open them. I can't find where the font is being used, is there a way to track it down and eliminate the reference to it? For now I'm ignoring it, but when these files go to professional press, I suspect it will be a problem. Thanks. (Attaching screenshot of warning message.)

missing fonts.png

You could check your layers. There must be a Text layer somewhere in your document containing text (with SourceSansPro-Light).

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

12 hours ago, Gordon Meyer said:

I can't find where the font is being used

I had a similar experience with APublisher.

Did you create the mentioned template yourself, so without the font? Or was it created by someone else who had (could have) the font installed?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

10 hours ago, Gordon Meyer said:

I have a number of files that I use for templates, and in almost all of them I get a "missing font" warning whenever I open them. I can't find where the font is being used, is there a way to track it down and eliminate the reference to it?

If you can upload one of the template files with a "missing fonts" error message someone with Publisher may be able to use Preflight to locate the missing font and let you know where it is in the document.

Alternatively if it is a false message then uploading the template will help the Devs track down what is happening.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

If you can upload one of the template files with a "missing fonts" error message someone with Publisher may be able to use Preflight

Or, someone with Publisher can use the Font Manager.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately the problem persists. Here's more info:

- I created the template myself

- I do not have the missing font (Adobe Source Sans Pro) font installed, or own it at all, so I'm puzzled as to how it got referenced in the first place.

- I have Publisher, thanks for those tips. When I use "Locate" in the Font Manager every single text frame in the document is highlighted!

This doesn't seems to be causing me any problems with the doc (yet), but it does cause me anxiety.

• Staff

Hi @Gordon Meyer

Sorry to hear you're having trouble still! Could you please post a copy of your document so we can look into this for you? Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Not to worry, you can upload the file to the following link and I'll ensure this is deleted once we're finished with it - please let me know once this has been done :)

https://www.dropbox.com/request/HGF8slcJuBNe1EdPtRWt

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Ah, yes, it could be from styled text via CC. (I no longer have a subscription, and I've checked again to make sure the font isn't somewhere on my drive, it isn't.) Thanks for the suggestions.

@Dan C - I've uploaded the file via the (nifty) Dropbox link you provided. Thank you.

• Staff

Thanks for your document :) There appears to be a change of font after a hard return in one of your text boxes, the font is only changed for this return character and as it's otherwise an empty line, so it's certainly easy to miss!

Please see my below screen recording showing where this is hiding, I have done my best to blur any parts of your document I don't need to show and confirmed that after removing this line and saving the document, I no longer see the missing font warning when opening your document. 

I hope this helps!

Hi @Dan C,
Thanks for your attention to my previous issue.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Sorry to see this thread hasn't yet had a response to it, I've forwarded the link to our QA team and requested that someone get back to you ASAP here. My apologies for any inconveniences caused with the delay.

• 2 weeks later...

@Dan C I was able to figure out how this happened without me having the Sans Pro font installed. All you have to do is copy text from a Safari webpage then paste it into a new, empty text frame. It comes in with this bogus font reference. If you "paste w/out style" it does not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks for that info, I'll pass it through to our QA team and have them investigate this further and log anything with our developers as required :)