You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Several Issues I found

Hello guys,

I tried the current version again. I was stuck for a long time on 1.6.5 because of several bugs, and thought I'd try the current version again... However, most issues are still not fixed, and I simply can't work with this version the way it is :( Will probably revert to 1.6.5 yet AGAIN. So I am opening up a bug report this time, in hope you will fix those issues in a later release. 

Few things to my device / hardware Setup: 

• 32 GB RAM 
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Wacom Intuos P&T S  (Driver Version 6.3.38-2 (up to date))
  • Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.778)
  • Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 (No issues with version 1.6.5 at all) 
  • Single Monitor (24''; 1920x1200px Resolution)

Issues I found: 

- I work mostly with my Wacom Intuos, when I work with Affinity Photo. 

1. Adjusting the size of the brush is a horror! 
    As I mentioned before I use the Wacom Intuos. So I am also trying to adjust my brush size with the pen. Which is a horror.
    What do I do? 
    I use my pen, click 'Width' and slowly drag it either to the right or the left. Depending on if I want the brush bigger or smaller. 
    In Affinity Photo 1.6.5 this smoothly adjusts the number, so that I can decide if I want to take small steps or big steps... 
    In Affinity Photo 1.8.3... It simply ignores me sometimes, or jumps only a few steps, then stops again. This drives me insane and this is also the main reason why I will revert back to 1.6.5 asap. I adjust my brushes so many times that it really slows me down. 
  2. Copy Tool doesn't realize when I already copied over the place
    What do I do? 
    I select my target, then (a few centimetres to the right for example) I place my pen down and drag it further to the right. So. This is kinda hard to explain... I don't stop midway, I just keep going and finally I get to the point where I started to copy the left side of the picture. When I get there, it starts with the pattern again, which has already been removed. I don't think this happened in 1.6.5. 
  3. Grey scale pictures have R/G/B Values when opened?
    What do I do?
    This is really a minor thing, but I just noticed it.
    I open up a document, which I had converted to grey scale earlier. The first document isn't usually a problem. If I open several documents in grey scale the fun begins. 
    So my first document... I select my tab, and want to start working. So I 'color pick' myself one of the grey scales available. In the 'color picker preview' (Mind I use the ALT key for this!) I can see the grey scale percentage. 
    Okay, so I open up my 2nd page, which was in a second tab, and here it's different. Even though the page was converted to B/W before, it now gives me R / G / B values in the 'color picker preview'. 

So, hopefully I didn't forget something. I hope this helps you to improve Affinity Photo even more! Thanks for your hard work guys! 

• Staff

Hey Syrina,

Thanks for including the info about your hardware etc. :) 

Issue 1:

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce what you are describing. I've tried enabling and disabling Windows Ink and it allows me to grab the slider and adjust my size as desired. I can't think what may have changed since 1.6 in this regard. Are you able to record this?

Issue 2:

I assume you mean the Clone Tool? What settings have you got? Can you screenshot the UI so I can see and make sure mine are set to the same? 

Issue 3:

Annoyingly I cannot reproduce this one either. I noticed the Colour Panel was in RGB even though I opened up a Greyscale image but it was still readying Greyscale values with the Colour Picker. 

I'll look forward to hearing back from you! Thanks! 

Hi Chris, 

I tried to reproduce them. 

Issue 1: 

Okay I wasnt clear on this. It works if I make it REAL SLOW, but if I move faster it's not working. Video is attached! this worked in 1.6.5 without any issues.
Sorry, I havent really worked actively on this version so far, because it bugs me. :)
oh yes, I just remembered: sometimes when I have this issue, I also get a circle around my mouse. Like... I'd click too long on the same place? but actually affinity just refuses to accept my (maybe too fast?) input. As I said before though: this had no issues in 1.6.5. 

Issue 2:

Yes the Clone tool. I also added the Tool in the video. and used it like described.

You can probably see my settings in die video as well. If you need more details / further screenshots let me know which exactly :) 

Issue 3:

I tried to add this to the video but when I clicked the alt key it wasnt shown in the video. So I attached two additional pictures. 

One note on this: the first time I opened my files I had R / G / B Values on all of the pictures. I reopened all of them like 2-3 times and then one picture had the grey scale %, the other were in R / G / B

2020-04-30.png.62d680b87fafb73ea2c65f74079f1fab.png681300685_2020-04-30(1).png.464288790c36d096602735b0c00fc130.png 

• Staff

Hi Syrina,

Thanks for the video.

issue 1:

I reinstalled 1.6.5 and compared it to my 1.8.4 beta and I am seeing exactly the same behaviour. Dragging left to right seems more problematic than dragging form right-to-left. I think when going from left to right, we are catching the outside boundary of the hit area for the drag. The only thing I could ask dev to look at is to increase the hit area but we need to make sure it does not interfere with the ability to resize the app window when it isn't maximized. 

I don't think anything has changed here in terms of programming between 1.6 and 1.8 but I'll check that too.

Issue 2:

I can see what you mean now. In 1.6.5 I can drag and the source follows my mouse, picking up the newly replaces pixels. I've asked dev about this.

Issue 3:

I think I saw this once but it was with a PSD not a JPEG. I'm still working at it. 

Issue 1: Hmm strange, because in 1.6.5 I never had that issue :/ 
Could it also be a pen & tablet integration issue? 
I am really at a loss here because it always worked flawless in 1.6.5 for me. 

Issue 2: 

Thanks!

Issue 3:

Oh sorry I didnt mention this, actually, I work with PSDs all the time. So this might be related! I also opened PSDs to recreate the issue. 

EDIT: I just had a really funny bug actually... I was working on one of the pictures. (PSD greyscale and all), and at the beginning I had the R/G/B values as shown before... And at some point WHILE STILL EDITING it switched over to %. 😱 

I didn't close the document, I didn't switch over to another file. I was just working on it... Damn, I didn't even switch tools! I don't understand it anymore. 😨

EDIT2: Haha, it reverted back. And now I can replicate it! Alt-tab out of Affinity... (do something in another program) then CLICK on affinity in the task bar and suddenly R/G/B gets switched % and vice versa! 

This is hillarious. 🤣

• Staff

Issue 1:

I've tried this again and it seems the same. I just cannot see a difference between the two versions but it definitely isn't enjoyable as like I said, going left to right is a pain.

Issue 2:

I've had a reply from dev but I've asked for further clarification

Issue 3:

Is your greyscale document definitely in greyscale from the document view? (Document > Convert Format > Grey/8? If so, can I have one of your PSD's please?

I tried switching as you said but I always get the correct feedback. 

Hi Chris,

Issue 1:

well at least I am not imagining it...

Issue 2:

okay we wait. :)

Issue 3:

Yes, they are in greyscale. I just tried it again - but different this time. It works like 90% when I am using my wacom tablet (alt + pen). It never switched when I used the mouse (alt + left mouse click). This is really difficult to grasp. Might it be related to how the Wacom Tablet is being recognized? 

I will get a different drawing device on thursday. (gaomon PD1651) will try it with that model as well... 

And yes, it's any picture, converted to PSD with greyscale... I attached one. 

20160405_114414_all.psd

• Staff

Hi Syrina,

I think it's getting confused between the document profile and the monitor profile which is why we see the RGB values kicking in. If I Alt+Tab I pick in RGB when that Windows stays open which is to be expected. The app UI is also in RGB.

The PSD assigned a Greyscale profile when I opened it so there's either some inaccuracies with the picker or a lag in the profile switching, perhaps.

• 9 months later...