You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Substract issue

• Staff

Hi JanBE,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for reporting this, I'm also seeing the same behaviour here (both on iOS and macOS versions). There was a couple issues with boolean operations after they were rewritten for v1.8. Some of them were already fixed but a few others remain open to be looked at. I don't know if this particular case was logged. I'm checking this out and will do so in case it's not.

• Staff

Hi JanBE,
When you are subtracting two shapes, the resulting shape should have the stroke width and fill and stroke colours of the bottom most shape - that's why you are not seeing a stroke in the resulting shape with the circle subtracted from the rectangle in the beginning nor when you expand the circle stroke first and change its stroke width ( the stroke is discarded when you subtract the shapes because the bottom most shape (the rectangle) doesn't have one. This is by design.

If you expand the circle's stroke (no fill colour) then the stroke becomes a shape itself and so only the old "stroke" area is subtracted from the rectangle (not the whole circle area) - the resulting  shape is still a single object. If you want to split/separate the resulting shape in its basic "components" tap the ellipsis icon and select the Divide geometry operation or the Separate Curves command in the Operations section in the same pop-up - both will work.

• Staff

With the stroke already subtracted from the square, tap the ellipsis icon and select the Divide geometry operation (or the Separate Curves command in the Operations section) to split the resulting shape in its components, then, subtract the larger circle from the rectangle.

I’m sorry, I did not realise it was a laughing face. Not intended that way, Thanks for the tip. It is a cumbersome process the way you described it. I guess what I’m looking for is kind of a stamp tool that just stamps out the underplaying shape.

@JanBE @MEB For the line bug there is a work around for many of the recent geometry fails and that is to reverse the order of the start and finish nodes on one of the shapes. You will notice I select the eclipse and then the node tool reverse on the context tool bar. This fixes many of the geometry operation fails introduced in the recent release. Maths error in my humble opinion.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help