You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer freezes when Text Styles selected

Affinity Designer for Windows freezes whenever I select Text Styles in the Layers/Effects/Styles studio panel.  The only option I have when this happens it to force the Designer application to close.  This freeze problem also occurs whenever I start to create a new document, and if the Text Styles option is highlighted in the studio panel, the application freezes.  The only work around I've found is to un-check Text Styles in the Studio pull down menu, and opt out of using this feature since it appears to be unusable on my computer (Windows 7).  Is there a way I can resolve this issue?

• Staff

Hi Larslok,

Could you close Designer down and then go to %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\ and rename the '1.0' folder to '1.0 old'. Once done start Designer back up - does this still cause the application to crash?

Could you also zip up the '1.0 old' folder and attach that please?

Thanks Wosven - I'm running version 1.8.3.641.  The font selection doesn't seem to impact the problem.  Designer defaults to Arial at start up, but the issue occurs with other fonts too.

Thanks Sean P - I'm sorry but I cannot locate %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0, or anything similar to that file directory on my computer.  I've run a search and it comes up empty. I assume the file should be located in the C:\Programs\Affinity\Designer directory?   Or should I look in some other location?

Additional Note:  I've just determined this same problem is occurring in Affinity Publisher on my computer.  It is doing exactly the same thing.  So I've closed the Text Styles option in the studio panel in both applications.

• Staff
12 hours ago, Larslok said:

Thanks Sean P - I'm sorry but I cannot locate %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0, or anything similar to that file directory on my computer.  I've run a search and it comes up empty. I assume the file should be located in the C:\Programs\Affinity\Designer directory?   Or should I look in some other location?

If you paste that location (the bolded element) into the Windows Run dialog it will take you to your user's AppData folder (its an easy method to access the folder without knowing the users directory). You should then see that folder.

Has this always been an issue, or has it been something started to happen recently? If its a recent thing have you installed any fonts recently or use any form of Font Management?

Sean P - Thanks for the guidance on tracking down the file location.  Before I send a zipped file folder, I need assurance it will not contain information on projects I'm working on that are proprietary?  In response to your original question:  Yes Designer froze again when I restarted Designer after renaming the folder "1.0 old".  After the restart,  I selected Text Styles and everything froze.  I had to force closure with Task Manager and got a message:"The system cannot end this program because it is waiting for a response from you."  I suspect that message may relate to my attempt to close Designer the normal way after it froze on me.

This freezing problem associated with Text Styles has always been and issue and I first noticed it while using Affinity Publisher.  Text Styles being highlighted in the studio panel always seems to freeze Designer.  Although, for some reason, the use of Text Styles doesn't always freeze Publisher.  With regard to fonts, I have added a few fonts during the time since I first installed Affinity Designer and Publisher, but I first noticed the problem before the font installation.  I don't utilize any font management applications.  I hope this info helps.

• Staff

Ahhh so safe to assume there is nothing in AppData that is causing the crash, so its shouldn't be necessary to get a copy of it. Also just to add that the 'Autosave' folder is the only folder that may contain active documents.

However would you be able to do the following when it hangs:

1. Go into Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape)
  2. Go to the Details tab
  3. Scroll to Designer.exe
  4. Right click it and select 'Create Dump File'
  5. Once completed it should give you a location (normally in %Temp% called 'Designer.dmp') could you attach that to our internal Dropbox account here: https://www.dropbox.com/request/fmLRRyST6kAenlUC03ku

This will give us an error report that we can look at that may give an idea as to whats going on! Lastly do you use any form of Font Manager at all on your machine?

Sean P - Thanks again for your assistance.  I've attached the file you requested to dropbox and I assume it was sent. 

I'm not intentionally using a Font Manager software.  When I install a font, I right click on the file and select install.  I assume that font installation feature was built into Windows 7.  My Windows 7 desktop computer is quite old and as a result there have been many different fonts installed over the years by different applications.  Many of which I never use but have never attempted to uninstall.

FYI - I have the Affinity Suite installed on my Windows 10 laptop and I've not experienced this problem on the laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having the same problem, any time in text styles  if I click the hierarchical toggle it  freezes, instantly and I have to go to task manager to  end task and restart.
Theres probably other places it freezes in side text styles but that one is guaranteed to make it hang.