You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Index Question (Formatting)

I have just completed a 44-page, two-columned index for my latest ebook (440 pages). Affinity Publisher is great for this kind of work. I'm a Newbie, though, and need some direction for formatting the overflow to second lines in the index. Which of the multitude of formatting features would allow me to indent the overflow second and third lines of the Index columns? I'm sure there is something simple that I'm missing, but I keep screwing up everything by my experimentation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Sam Gribley
misspelled word

By default, the index entries have the Paragraph Text Style "Index Entry 1", which you can see if you put your cursor in one of them. They also have a Character Text Style for the numbers, but we can ignore that for your question.

So, your question is basically the same as asking: Suppose I had a paragraph, and I wanted to have a hanging indent, so the first line starts at position X and any extra lines start at position X + some amount. How would I do that?

And the answer is, you adjust the Left Indent and the First Line indent to do what you want.

So, for an index entry, you go to the Text Styles panel while your cursor is in an index entry, and you double click on Index Entry 1 (or whatever Text Style you're using), and make your adjustments. By default, it will look like this:

image.png.496acefec99658fe61fe677db680b893.png

As you can see, the Left Indent and First Line Indent are the same. If you want the second line of your paragraph indented further, you could change Left Indent to .50 in or whatever you decided looks right.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks so much for helping me on this, Walt. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Family health issue. I had tried this before, but I did it again, per your instruction. The problem was not resolved, but the entire index changed fonts and formatting when I made that simple alteration to the indent option. I feel it has something to do with styles, but I'm not certain what I can and cannot change in the styles without adversely affecting my hyperlinking, etc. I'm trying to do this for a PDF ebook before formatting for a hard-copy book.

Your information gives me confidence in directing my energies, but I'm still at a loss for specific application, especially with the styles. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to be so obtuse on this matter. But I've never used Publisher until recently, and the lack of detailed documentation has thrown my rookie-brain for a loop.