You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.8.2.641 Freezing

I'm not sure why, but the application is freezing due to seemingly different reasons.  I have had the application stop responding to mouse/pen tablet input while using the brush, clone, and healing brushes, and also while using adjustment layers, like HSL and Unsharp Mask.  I am still able to use a keyboard shortcut to save the file I'm working on, but I have to close the application through the Task Manager.  Any help would be appreciated.

System info:

Win 10 Home

i7 5930K

32 GB

GeForce 1060

• Staff

Hey tonyk11,

I assume you meant 1.8.3.641?

Would you mind using the beta for an hour or two to see if you are still hitting these freezes? There have been a number of fixes for layer ordering etc. which may be what you're hitting.

The beta installs alongside the retail version. Without a recipe to reproduce what you are experiencing, we can try and rule things out by trying the beta and then focus on what is still affecting you.

I'm having the same problem as tonyk11, namely the programme freezing when using mouse/pen tablet. I'm colourising a black and white image and I can't be absolutely certain just when it freezes. I am a total newbie to Affinity and sort of feeling my way along, any help would be really appreciated.

Regards

Rodbait

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I will give a bit more detail.  The program will actually still respond, but it will no longer respond to mouse clicks or pen clicks or changes.  I can't access menus with the mouse, though I can still access the menu with keyboard shortcuts.  I'm not losing file changes because I'm able to save them, but the tool I'm using no longer responds in the interface.

I can try the beta.  And yes, I was talking about 1.8.3.641.

• Staff

Did you have chance to use the beta? Has anything improved? If not, let me know what you are still having an issue with and supply some steps so I can easily reproduce it (if possible) and we can get it reported to the developers :) 

Hey Chris B.  I installed the most recent Beta and have used it for the last couple of days and have yet to experience the same freezes.  It seems the issue may be dealt with in the Beta or it is being caused by something else that isn't active while I'm running the Beta.  No idea what that might be.  I'll keep you posted.

• Staff

Ah no, so it happened again? That's a shame.

I've made you a Dropbox folder that you can upload into:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/dW8nzBMyLhWd2yWsl3yM

If you could let me know once it has uploaded that would be great (Dropbox doesn't notify me :()

• Staff

Just a thought—when the app 'freezes' is it frozen or can you just not interact with anything? A colleague reminded me of an issue we have with tablets that can stop object on the canvas from being interacted with. I think you can still interact with the UI though.

If this is the case, can you turn Windows Ink off in Preferences > Tools and maybe from the Wacom driver. It will fall back on Wintab then.

Chris B,

Yes, I can no longer interact with the app with my mouse or pen tablet.  I am able to interact with keyboard shortcuts and such, but not the pointer tools.  I do not use a Wacom tablet, but I'll take a look at these preferences and let you know.  Thank you for your help.

Tony

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Input breaks after switching from Tablet Pen to Mouse) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon