You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Crashing when Copying Layers

gaufde

I have been having some problems with photo crashing when I try to copy and paste layers between files. It appears to happen with pixel layers that have a layer mask. Here are the steps I use to fairly reliably get photo to crash:

1. Open a blank document

2. Use a large soft brush with low flow to paint around the canvas. I have been using black because it is easy to see.

3. Add a layer mask to the pixel layer and use the same brush to draw on it.

4. Select the pixel layer (including the mask) in the layers pallet and press cmd+c to copy

5. Photo Crashes.

I have attached a crash report to help diagnose.

Affinity Photo Layer Copy Crash Report.rtf

15 hours ago, gaufde said:

I have been having some problems with photo crashing when I try to copy and paste layers between files. It appears to happen with pixel layers that have a layer mask. Here are the steps I use to fairly reliably get photo to crash:

1. Open a blank document

2. Use a large soft brush with low flow to paint around the canvas. I have been using black because it is easy to see.

3. Add a layer mask to the pixel layer and use the same brush to draw on it.

4. Select the pixel layer (including the mask) in the layers pallet and press cmd+c to copy

5. Photo Crashes.

I have attached a crash report to help diagnose.

Affinity Photo Layer Copy Crash Report.rtf 85.63 kB · 3 downloads

I have not yet been able to observe this behaviour. So I've taken it one step at a time, just like you. Everything seemed to work out fine... but after I closed Affinity Photo with Command-Q, a message appeared after a few seconds that Affinity Photo had unexpectedly closed. Very strange. I've never had that before. In my daily work (and I often copy layers - even with several adjustment layers and masks - back and forth) it has never happened before!

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

1 minute ago, Puck said:

I have not yet been able to observe this behaviour. So I've taken it one step at a time, just like you. Everything seemed to work out fine... but after I closed Affinity Photo with Command-Q, a message appeared after a few seconds that Affinity Photo had unexpectedly closed. Very strange. I've never had that before. In my daily work (and I often copy layers - even with several adjustment layers and masks - back and forth) it has never happened before!

What strange behavior! This almost intrigues me more than the actual bug itself.

Also, I found a similar thread right after I posted here. MEB's reply asks if the OP of that thread had any sort of clipboard managers/similar utilities running in background. I don't know about you, Puck, but I have Alfred and Keyboard Maestro (and some other utilities like Hazel) running in the background so it looks like I will have to try some more tests to isolate if any of them are causing issues.

• Staff

Hey gaufde,

We have seen this a lot in the past with clipboard managers. There are dozens of different apps out there that manage the clipboard so it's increasingly difficult to keep on top of these. I am absolutely sure this is why you're experiencing the crash though. 

3 hours ago, gaufde said:

I don't know about you, Puck, but I have Alfred and Keyboard Maestro (and some other utilities like Hazel) running in the background ... 

57 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey gaufde,

We have seen this a lot in the past with clipboard managers. There are dozens of different apps out there that manage the clipboard so it's increasingly difficult to keep on top of these. I am absolutely sure this is why you're experiencing the crash though. 

Hi gaufde, Hi Chris, I don't have any of these apps running on my Mac or any other clipboard manager or other additional software except the NIK collection (but that's another issue) ...

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Hi All,

Thanks for the help and interest so far!

I just did a few more tests to try and isolate the issue.

First, it appears that the program crashes mainly when I have the move tool active while I use cmd+c to copy the layer.

The conflict appears to be coming from keyboard maestro (8.2.4) , and so I was able to solve that issue in keyboard maestro preferences > Excluded > The following applications are excluded from the clipboard history unless you explicitly read the clipboard. I then added Photo to that excluded list.

This made it so that my steps outlined in the first post no longer cause a crash; however, I haven't been able to test this more thoroughly with other files.

It still seems like there could be some sort of bug present based on what Puck and madflute (from the other thread) have described.