You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, today I tried to create a focus merged pic. Starting from four pics in raw format, shot with a Sony a77ii and a Tamron 16-300 equipped with a macro ring. I manually adjusted focus for each pic, hoping to get a result with a nice depth of field. When using the Focus merge facility on the four raw files, the program showed only two of the original pics as well as the result pic, and omitted the other two. The result was bad, as parts of focussed areas were left out. I then tried to first create four jpeg's to start from, but this did not help at all. Finally I tried to use the standard Merge utility and then all four pics were merged, but of course with a different kind of result. I am using Affinity beta 1.8.4.647 on a pc. 

As there are no setting possibilities in the Focus merge dialog box, I fail to understand why this happened. 

It is always better to develop your images first before using Focus Merge.

I presume you were using a tripod to take your images. If the auto-alignment fails (because of poor alignment), the some images could be omitted.

Four images for a Focus Merge does seem fairly low. I do not know what your subject matter was, but most Focus Merging would use ten or more images. If you have insufficient overlap in your depth of field, then this might account for your results.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi John and thanks for your swift answer. I used a tripod and I tried also to develop the original raw files into jpegs, but got the same result. Two out of four images were all the time omitted, but probably not because of poor auto aligment as I used a tripod. I will try tomorrow with a higher number of images, with less focus difference between each image.

• 9 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Ramon Alicea (Ricky - NYC),

Welcome to the forums :)

On 2/6/2021 at 8:27 PM, Ramon Alicea (Ricky - NYC) said:

with FUJIFILM RAW files, 38 images, but when I use JPG it works perfect! I can't even open the RAW normally for other works!

It sounds as though your camera may not yet be supported in Affinity Photos RAW engine.

Can you please confirm for me, what Fujifilm model camera do these RAWs originate from?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 1 month later...

Just downloaded the 1.9.2.1035 and did a 3 photo focus merge using tiff files.  The photos didn't along properly as with the prior version.  I assume that the default is auto align? Focus merge interface didn't provide for any way to adjust alignment.

Thanks for your assistance. 

AF_STACK.jpg

DSC_1241.jpg

DSC_1240.jpg

DSC_1239.jpg

On 2/8/2021 at 5:23 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @Ramon Alicea (Ricky - NYC),

Welcome to the forums :)

It sounds as though your camera may not yet be supported in Affinity Photos RAW engine.

Can you please confirm for me, what Fujifilm model camera do these RAWs originate from?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Dan C., I have an X-T4 body. and my computer is fast, I still don't know what is the problem. 

7 hours ago, Ramon Alicea (Ricky - NYC) said:

Hi Dan C., I have an X-T4 body. and my computer is fast, I still don't know what is the problem. 

Looks like the camera is supported with a proviso...

image.png.23d8bffe8db7e763acd80dabbd8f70d3.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi @TWP46,

Thanks for your images provided! Focus Merge is not designed to re-align images such as the one provided, unfortunately the automatic alignment that this feature provides is small movements of the image to ensure that the focus merge works as well as possible. For this reason, the Help file suggests taking images using a Tripod, as the only variable in the image set should be the focal length.

For best alignment, the images will want to be acquired with the camera on a tripod or some form of stabilisation.
Source - https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/FocusMerging/focusmerging.html?title=Focus merging images

Put simply, the Focus Merge feature is not designed to align hand-captured images such as the 3 samples you've provided, my apologies. The best option would be to manually align these images, or align them in a Stack, then export each image once it has been aligned and use the 3 new exported images in the focus merge. The following thread discusses how to create and export each layer of the stack individually - 
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/111393-sending-layers-to-a-stack-or-focus-stack/&do=findComment&comment=602595

I hope this helps!

@Ramon Alicea (Ricky - NYC),

Many thanks for confirming that for me, as firstdefence has pointed out, these files need to be in uncompressed RAW format only - do you know what your camera body is set to in regards to RAW compression?

Secondly, it may be Hardware Acceleration causing this issue, before we try disabling it I'd like to request that you update to the latest drivers for your GPU, as this can fix many H.A. issues for our customers.

Please visit the manufactures link below to download the latest driver available -

- Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html 
- Nvidia: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
- AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-driver-autodetect

Note: you may need to go direct to your PC manufactures website for the driver, if you see a warning regarding 'OEM drivers' when trying to install one from the above sites.

Once downloaded and installed, please restart your computer and then launch the Affinity app again.

Should you still see this issue after restarting, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and untick Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of the dialog. Restart the app as prompted, do these RAW files now display correctly for you?

Many thanks in advance once again :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Dan C

Thanks for your input.  The photos were shot using a tripod.  However, it was a breezy day.

Thanks you for the link you provided. I'll look into what you have provided, for aligning and then focus stacking.  The files I used were Tiff exported from Capture One.

**I was unable to find the tutorial on aligning layers.  Could you please send me the link?  Thank You

BTW: PS CS6 was able to align and stack the three photos. See attached result. 

DSC_1239_STACK.jpg