You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving Layer in Designer Results in Move to Group?

Hello! Let's see if I can describe what is happening and hopefully someone can help me out.

I had to open a PDF file of a template to follow to create a box top and bottom for a game. This resulted in two PDF pages (one for top and one for bottom) with a group for each page, the groups containing the curves for the text and bleed lines, etc. So far, no issues.

I needed these groups to stay on top so they can be seen over text and images brought in so they can be positioned according to the template. I had the appropriate images opened separately and I copied/pasted them onto the template and move it to beneath the to PDF page groups. So far, so good. However, if I use the Move Tool to move the image copied in, it not only moves the image about the canvas, it also moves it INTO the group the image is beneath, nesting it within. So, for example, I copy and paste an image onto the canvas and move it on the layers panel beneath the two groups for the box top and bottom (showing the bleed lines, etc.). So, now I have three "layers" - the box top (a group with a bunch of curves for bleed lines), the box bottom (another group like the box top), and the copied image. If I use the Move Tool to adjust the position of the image on the canvas (not in the layer panel on the right) the image moves, but then also becomes nested into the group it was beneath (i.e. I am adjusting the image for the top of the box and since that is in the same area as the group for the box top, the image is moved into that group, even though I am not touching the anything on the layer panel). 

Why is this happening and how can I get it to stop? Is there a setting I've accidentally set or a setting I can turn off? Or is this a strange bug?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for responding. However, neither of these helped and, in fact, were the first things I tried. When I selected the image and use the arrow-keys to move, the image moved, but was also placed within the group (when it was outside the group previously). Locking the group did not help. Even locked, if I moved the image with the mouse or arrow-keys, the image was also moved into the group.

I should have read the title, sorry. So I have played in Designer, made some layers, grouped them, locked the top most group and could move layer and groups beneath and nothing moves into a group. The only thing that I've noticed is if I lock a layer that is in a nonlocked group I can move the group with the layer. But I have no idea whats going on your side, sorry. And I'm also on Win10.

Thanks again for trying. I'll attach a file, the PDF I opened to start the project, which is simply a template for a game's box top and bottom. Then I will type the steps I took to get the unintended results I ended up with. 

1 - Open Designer and open the PDF file (see attached), which should give you two pages, side by side and two groups containing all the "curves" from the imported PDF
2 - I then had opened a project of the mock-up I'd done of the box top/bottom for the client, intending to re-use the images from that project
3 - In the second project (see step 2) select a layer that is an image and hit CTRL+C to copy it
4 - Go back to the opened PDF file and hit CTRL+V to paste the image to this project. If the image ends up in one of the groups, drag it out and place it beneath both groups
5 - Select the image layer, make sure you have the move tool activated, and then adjust the placement of the image on the canvas

When I do this, every time I move this image layer, or any other layer I create, it gets dumped into the group it is nearest (if I am moving the image on the page with the box top, it gets dumped into that group, etc.).

box-15_165x104x39.pdf

16 hours ago, SilverSurfer1221 said:

1 - Open Designer and open the PDF file (see attached), which should give you two pages, side by side and two groups containing all the "curves" from the imported PDF

If you open a 2 page PDF in Affinity Designer, you get two Artboards with all the curves, text, etc. of each PDF page on its own artboard, not two pages with the curves grouped by page. You can see this in the Layers panel:

436924199_ADlayerspanel.jpg.6f5e21fc477c06644976bd645d50f34b.jpg

This is why the moved item gets 'dumped' into one of the Artboards if it is moved anywhere that is fully or partially on one of the artboards.

If you have Affinity Publisher that app will open the PDF as individual pages, but Designer by itself cannot. If you do not own APub, this would be a good time to buy it because it is currently on sale for 50% off.

Just FYI, it is possible to open the PDF in APub, use File > Edit in Designer & save it from there, as I did with this box 15 with pages.afdesign file. If you then open it in AD, you can move between pages using the page navigator that will appear at the bottom left corner of the workspace window:
1398555300_ADpagenavigator.jpg.c82c43b7e4a535e6d69cd47114cae357.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...

ok, but why is this happening  ?
Why do I want you forcing my layer into a group  ? 
Why can't I turn this off ?
Why do I even need to ask these questions ?

This is all kinds of bugged.. try it with multiple selected layers, they visually move to a group but stay in layer position.

20 years of technical 3d, tool dev, tech art experience.  There's more to that but I'm just trying to thwart the 101-filler-text people put in replies.  I love everyone.. I come across as grumpy but I have a big heart.

13 minutes ago, .eb said:

ok, but why is this happening  ?
Why do I want you forcing my layer into a group  ? 
Why can't I turn this off ?
Why do I even need to ask these questions ?

This is your first post in this very old topic, and it's not clear what you're doing or what is happening. 

And we know that the initial description in this topic was not correct, and Groups have not actually been involved in the discussion so far. 

It would be helpful if you were to completely describe your problem, and show examples with sample documents if possible and with screenshots of the complete application window with the Layers panel and your affected layers showing. And a complete description of exactly what actions you were taking. And what application you're using.

Then we may be able to help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1