You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello very helpful community, 

See the grey hairline pixel gap in this design. I understand this is a common problem with vector software, but does anyone have any workarounds for this particular case? See file attached. It is still there when exported into jpeg and tiff, and when I rasterize the objects in question. It only seems to happen with certain combinations of blend modes / effects, when I post two blend modes on top of one another. If I turn one of them off, the hairline seems to go away. But for this design I need this to look like this. Any other workarounds welcome. 

Thank you!!

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 9.26.19 PM.png

ink pattern for forum question.afdesign

You need to use the Blend Options > Coverage Map on the objects susceptible to create those "white" lines, like the Bottom layer and the other curve layer.
And the curve with a transparent stroke is used on the main groups of objects.

Use the file to check what and where it's done :)

I tried to work out what was done but got myself tied in knots lol! so, based on wosven's erase stroke idea I did some fiddling and I think I’ve got a slightly different recipe but based on similar ingredients.

1. Duplicate the “top” curves layer (Press CMD (⌘) + J on Mac, Ctrl (⌃) + J On Windows) and rename it to "edge mask" or something like that, I’ll use "edge mask" from now on.
  2. Delete the nested curve layer under the renamed layer “edge mask"
  3. Select the renamed layer “edge mask” and change the blend mode to Erase
  4. With the “edge mask” layer selected...
    1. Set the stroke width to 0.002in
    2. Set Align: Centre
    3. Leave the stroke blend mode set to: Normal 
  5. Select the “top” and “bottom” curve layers and group them, nothing will happen yet, the magic is in step 6 lol!
  6. (The Magic Layer) Drag the “edge mask” layer into the group to nest it, If I’ve got the instructions right the edge mask layer will erase the edge fringing.

Made a short vid to accompany the instructions.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Lobsang Karma said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much! super helpful.

You’re welcome Lobsang.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions