You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In Publisher it appears that one must be "in" a layer or sublayer in order to use the CMD modifier to select an object or a text. The necessity of selecting the layer in which the object or text is located slows work flow. I realize that Publisher has the safe guard of not allowing selection to take place if the layer is locked, but even when all relevant layers or sublayers are unlocked, it appears that one actually has to have selected the layer or sublayer in order to select a text or object and edit it. Also, if the user is on a top layer that has sublayer, then the cursor jumps to the appropriate sublayer, and to select something in a parallel sublayer one must select that sublayer or return to the top layer. This takes up valuable time. Am I missing something?

Yes, Lagarto, I've noted that, also, but if I am in completely different top layer, it clicking, even with various modifiers, still does not select. I have found, however, that when I have various sublayers and sub-sublayers that if I select the very top layer and proceed as you noted that I can get the item below selected - but of course the layer/object of what I have selected is then selected (as it should be) and to select something else in the same top layer I must again select that top layer. Sorry to be complicated, but hopefully someone at Affinity is listening. If all layers/objects are unlocked I would like to be able to Ctrl click anywhere (even a couple of clicks) and get to what I want to edit.

I hope your maps of Greece and its islands are coming along well, Lagarto. Wish I could be on one of them now....

• 1 month later...

Both Move and Node tool have been working beautifully using CMD (Mac) in APub (and its AD persona) to select a text or an object. All of a sudden this has stopped working in the same document where it has been working well. I now must select every text or object via the layer panel. All layers and sublayers are unlocked. Might this be a bug or could have unknowingly unactivated this useful feature?

PS: I find that a in different map that I am editing (in the same APub doc), the CMD/click to select works well. Thus it appears that it is a layer/sublayer problem and not a APub doc problem. Again, all layers and sublayers are open.

• 4 weeks later...

What does "Edit All Layers" do, the icon at the bottom left of the Layer's panel? I find nothing on the forum, and help only says to click on it. What does it toggle since it does not appear to do anything in my layers? Does it have to do with the above posts?

2 hours ago, Jim Monson said:

What does "Edit All Layers" do, the icon at the bottom left of the Layer's panel? I find nothing on the forum, and help only says to click on it. What does it toggle since it does not appear to do anything in my layers? Does it have to do with the above posts?

From the Layers panel help topic:

Edit All Layers—Allows selection and editing of objects across all layers (rather than the current layer).

What this does not make at all clear (from what I can tell experimentally) is this applies only if the document has one or more capital L "(Layer)" container layers. So at the very least the help topic should say something like "Allows selection and editing of objects across all container Layers (rather than the current container Layer)," not that it would make it much clearer.

If how this works still is not clear, open this very simple Edit All Layers demo.afpub file & doing what its page 1 suggests.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, R C-R. My problem is not selecting objects/texts which are not in a Layer. This I can do. My docs have multiple Layers and sublayers with objects and texts in most of them. Assuming that all of these are unlocked and visible, it appears that I must be on a specific sublayer in which the object is located in order to select it, or in the Layer in which that sublayer is located, and then the object can be selected onscreen via CMD click. However, if I then try to select something in a different Layer onscreen via CMD click, I cannot select it onscreen via a CMD click without first selecting the Layer or sublayer in which it is found. Going to the AffDesigner persona does not solve the problem, although the problem does not exist in a native AffDesigner doc with a myriad of Layers and sublayers.

Question: In APub how can I select an object/text onscreen in any unlocked layer using CMD click?.

I don’t think what you are describing is expected behaviour.
In my attached video, each time I click on a layer – while holding down CTRL (I’m on Windows) – I can select any layer, which is what I would expect. (“Edit All Layers” is ‘switched off’.)
If you are not getting this behaviour then the problem could be something to do with either your document or your set-up.
Without access to either it is difficult to tell what’s happening.
Since we can’t get access to your machine, would you be able to supply the document?

Thanks, Garry. Much appreciated. My doc is too big to send and has proprietary material in it. In the coming days I will bring it down to size, check it out  in terms of selection and if necessary get back to you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than send the doc, Gary, I thought I'd try sending a snap of the layers and some object visible within a selected layer. I'm wondering if the problem is the hierarchy of layers, i.e., Top Layer with six of what I call sub-layers below it, as seen in the attached below. I have tried moving layers around so that I only have three sub-layers, but that does not help. I do not have "Auto-scroll to see selection in layers panel" checked. If I select the top layer (above all sub-layers) and then CMD (on Mac)/click an object on-screen, I can go to any object in any of the six sub-layers. However, I am stuck there as far a making a new on-screen selection until I select the top layer again or go to the specific layer in which the object I want to select is found. 

Thus my question. In AffPub, how am I able to CMD/click and select *any on-screen object" in any of my sub-layers? I thought that this might be possible by going to Designer Persona in AffPub, but that does not solve the problem. Perhaps this is only possible by bringing up the map ii am editing as native Designer rather than via the AffPub Designer Persona. However, I then would have to do all my editing outside of AffPub and bring those layers from Designer back into Aff Pub. This would be a real chore/

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 10.01.28 PM.png

You do have a (Layer) in your layer hierarchy ("Left Page"). Therefore, unless (a) the objects you're trying to click on are within that Layer or (b) you have Edit All Layers enabled, you will not be able to select the objects by clicking them in the workspace when that Layer has the focus (as it does in your screenshot).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1