You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Japanese - Dictionary(ja-JP) does not have

Takahisa Kusuda

I assume you should just disable "スペル設定" in "プレフライトプロファイル", "不足グリフ" also.
Affinity doesn't have Japanese dictionary and will not like Adobe doesn't either.

To Serif:
Spell checker is basically unnecessary for Japanese documents.
But sometimes it contains some English(or some other language) words...

Easy fix is that disabling the spell checker for Japanese text by default.
Ideal solution is that having the spell checker ignores Asian words without disabling it like Adobe's.

ap-preflight.png

• 1 month later...

I am also creating a textbook and the spellcheck is quite annoying because my documents are mixed language.

Ideally the spellcheck would work across multiple  languages but I would be satisfied if I could disable the spellcheck for Japanese only while still have it work for English.

8 hours ago, deadhippo said:

I am also creating a textbook and the spellcheck is quite annoying because my documents are mixed language.

Ideally the spellcheck would work across multiple  languages but I would be satisfied if I could disable the spellcheck for Japanese only while still have it work for English.

You can control whether spell checking is performed in the text styles that you define or in the Character studio panel. Basically:

1. Ffor the text styles that you assign to your Japanese text, specify a Spelling Language of None:
    image.png.8d8de68dd9dcc8416674f58879d7ab86.png

2. Then, assign a different Character Text Style to English text, and assign English as the Spelling Language:
    image.png.25790113bcba0b240635be9269fb110a.png

You can also do that manually using the Character Studio Panel, but it will be easier using Text Styles.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1