You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Video Compositing/Animation Competitor (Adobe After Effects & Animate)

I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there ever going to be a video compositing/animation program that would be a competitor to the likes of After Effects and Animate from Adobe? I know there is currently no plan for a Premiere Pro competitor, but what about After Effects and/or Animate? I know that motion graphics would be easier if I didn't have to subscribe to Adobe After Effects or Animate, especially since the competitor could have integration with the rest of the Affinity suite, meaning you could easily bring your vector work from Affinity Designer. I am new to Graphic Design, and would like to get into Motion Graphics and Animation, but the price tag of Adobe is a significant barrier.

9 hours ago, Paul Media Group said:

I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there ever going to be a video compositing/animation program that would be a competitor to the likes of After Effects and Animate from Adobe?

Hello @Paul Media Group,

welcome to the forum.

You might want to try a search with the top right search field on each page. For newcomers this is perhaps not obvious 🙂

You might want to read this thread:

And there are many other threads, too. Basically this is not to be expected in the near future.

There are also many recommendations to alternative tools that are already available. One of the more often called ones is 'Davinci Resolve' which even offers a free version.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, dominik said:

You might want to try a search with the top right search field on each page.

... or search on the forum via Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=video+animation+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 1 month later...

Posting this in AE threads:

A true After Effects competitor is finally being developed and in open beta, and everyone who is interested should check it out and encourage both developers to make sure the native file formats for Designer and Photo are interoperable with this new app.

https://cavalry.scenegroup.co/

Going to be a modern design, hardware-accelerated from the ground up like Affinity apps. Pricing will be a free version and a sub version (unfortunately), about the same cost as AE or a little cheaper if you pay annually. In any case AE's major flaw is it's performance today, so I plan to use this new app instead, possibly the free version at first and then if the paid features are worth it, the sub. Would rather pay a small developer a sub than pay Adobe for single app license. Less of a clear choice if you pay more to get the suite, or if Adobe drops their single app price well below $20, but at least there will be a choice now.

For those saying Resolve (or Apple Motion) are AE alternatives, they're really not. Only for certain things like design of lower thirds, keying, text animation stuff, etc. Animation and FX wise there's not much comparison, especially if one considers 3rd party plugins. TBD what plugins will be supported in Cavalry but hopefully Red Giant and others will be involved.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:52 AM, Cineman said:

Pricing will be a free version and a sub version

I installed the beta two weeks ago, and it shows promise.

But rental only? No, thanks. I AM OUT. Uninstalling tonight: there's just no point spending any more time in it for me personally.

Thanks for the heads-up, though: I hadn't noticed their pricing FAQ, and had started to learn and use it, and you saved me losing a lot of valuable hours of my life. 🙂

I'll stick with Hitfilm Pro, Blender, and Resolve (which is adding Afx type functionality anyway).