You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] Ɨ

Hi You all!

Trying to export my design as an SVG to be able to cut it with my waterjet.Ā šŸ˜€Ā Tried all kinds of different settings and export options without luck. šŸ˜

What I'm looking for is a step by step guide to prepare my files into the right format and or some checker functions which detects errors and so on up front.

Attached is one of the files I'm trying to export.

Or is the conclusion in the end that I would be better of with an expensive piece of software ? I was just starting to like Affinity!

Any helpĀ appreciated thankyou

Ā 

Henk

Ā 

Ā 

Langenberg Bordje.svg

Welcome to the forums.
You can probably export an image like your example for use in a water-jet cutter and the process could be similar to that when using an engraving machine or a laser cutter. However, none of the Affinity applications will have any kind of ā€˜automatic error detectionā€™ functions for this kind of thing (although Designerā€™s ā€œOutline View Modeā€ may come in handy).
Try searching the forums for ā€œengraverā€ to find various discussions relating to how people are using the software with engraving machines. An additional search for ā€œlaserā€ may give other interesting results.
I suspect that you might not find instructions for your specific case ā€“ I could be mistaken but this is the first time I have seen a question from someone using a water cutter ā€“ but there should be something thatā€™s useful.

Thanks a lot Garry P,

Could you please have a look at this file Adele Schopenhauer.svg ?Ā 

What is different from the other file I posted yesterday ? Tried creating a new document without background; no luck.

And something else, the different curve items are bundled together called 'Group', is that ok? or should it be one item called 'curve'

Maybe the file needs to be without layers?! and how to do that?

Ā 

Best regards,

Ā 

Henk

Ā 

liftarn_Adele_Schopenhauer.svg

What does the water engraver need from a file? All I know is from signs and the cutters we have just need a CutContour path which is done by having a specific labeled spot colour "CutContour". If you are looking for something beyond this I would say you need different software. I would think the controlling software would have some sort of error detection, would not expect that from Affinity or even Adobe.Ā 

Hello Wonderings,

thankyou for your input!

The waterjet cutter software accepts either DXF or SVG. The file above (adele schopenhauer)Ā  is red by the software correctly. but I can''t find out what is different.

What exactly the file format must be I don't know, I will ask them.

Could you explain a bit more what you mean by 'CutContour' and how to do this ?

Ā 

Thanks a lot

Henk

hallo Henk,

in the attachment a svgĀ  exported the way i use it on a silhouette cutter.

may this will work on the water cutter.

and the designer file with history.

Langenberg Bordje2.svg

Langenberg Bordje.afdesign

intel core i5,Ā  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Hallo Henk,

Ā 

the export and doc settings.

docsetup.png.33e88ce53df35afcf094a89b8b821a37.pngexport.png.2b97df775d85edfc82c95502bfaba3e3.png

Ā 

hope this helps.

Ā 

doe maar een sixpack, alle merken behalveĀ corona zijn welkomĀ šŸ˜

intel core i5,Ā  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

7 hours ago, dutchshader said:

doe maar een sixpack, alle merken behalveĀ corona zijn welkomĀ šŸ˜

Other than being a very cheaply brewed beer, Corona should be OK, as long as you avoid the 19 packs...Ā šŸ¤”

All 3Ā 1.10.8, &Ā all 3Ā V2.4.1Ā Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity PhotoĀ 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3Ā V2Ā apps for iPad;Ā 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7