You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bullet/number offsets when pushed by an image

Indirectly this isn't a Bug, but it's a bit of a layout breaker. When an image is pushing bullet or numbered text out of the way the spacing breaks. I surmise that it's because the spacing is being done from the edge of the paragraph block or the page and the image offsetting it isn't accounted for. It seems to switch to using auto-generated tab spacing which isn't totally working. You can see it below. Is there any way when an image is offsetting the text that it takes this as the new zero? I can see a challenge if its only part of a paragraph being pushed. My example is a bit cleaner since I sized that way, fitting exactly on the numbers/paragraphs.

image.png.5cda702f7121298e6b12c54aa2fe1c7e.pngThanks.

Thanks Gabe

I manually adjusted the paragraph spacing and that is a work around on a small scale. I think if it were a bigger document it won't be too practical when text can easily move around. It's not about the space between the number and text as much as it's from the second line of each paragraph is pushing under the text which makes the layout look broken. Well, since I don't see too many people adding to this with the same challenge it could be added as something to look into at a later stage.

If it’s any consolation Adobe InDesign does this too.
1584514467_ScreenShot2020-04-29at17_46_58.png.b6bc5291c402995e00b24f9655dd5424.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I thought the newer/newest ID version finially resolved this issue...like Q has had for some time...

Capture_000623.png.791540748c717ab1b84071020c242ecb.png

Indesign seems to do the same thing... sometimes. It would change depending how far in I moved the image into the text. Sometimes it would look fine, other times it would indent similarly to what the OP showed with the screen shot... though not as bad as that. 

18 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Indesign seems to do the same thing... sometimes. It would change depending how far in I moved the image into the text. Sometimes it would look fine, other times it would indent similarly to what the OP showed with the screen shot... though not as bad as that. 

Capture_000624.png.8fee8981ca1f21b3f6538464891ead29.png

Capture_000625.png.de8741ff05787e992a2366313286f329.png

Q doesn't care.

I think the ID examples are a little different since since with numbered or bullet lists we are talking about hanging distances. The space from the edge of an image is pushed relative to the set margin, but the space of the hanging lines to be in line with the first line being spaced away from the number or bullet is where the issue comes in. I guess it's about doing a check if the number/bullet first line is being pushed away from it's margin and then pushing the following lines the same distance.