You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pantone Color Hex Values Don't Match?

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

I am not sure on which profile the values given on the web site are based

The numbers on websites, including Pantones website, are "dumb" numbers. That is, they are based upon a non-color managed environment using as their base hexadecimal values. Basically one can consider them only in the context of an rgb environment

As regards their profiled usage, Serif applications use rgb values for the solid coated/uncoated (lIke the GOE, Pastels, etc.) and cmyk values where indicated in their name. Serif should use LAB definitions for a proper conversion to whatever color model and profile a document is using.

By their nature, the Bridge palettes use canned cmyk values. We use to need to tweak the values when I worked at/for a service bureau to obtain closer matches to the Bridge printed guides and/or the spot color printed guides when not actually using spot inks.

PCM uses lab values. The conversions it makes will vary depending on the profile used and will/can differ little to greatly when switching profiles. I also have PCM (even though it's a piece of crap--even their tech support considers it so).

The printed guides use a single profile (no choice which one) printed to a particular paper and are only representative even if your print service is using the exact same profile to the exact same paper. Even then if measured the resulting print will vary from the printed guides.

Adobe applications once used cmyk values for representing the spot inks. It was a great day for many when Adobe switched to lab values--but for some it wreaked havoc when reprinting work based on the prior swatches and/or attempting to match prior printed work. I don't know if Adobe is still shipping both versions. Corel did once upon a time. This mostly matters when attempting to reproduce spot via cmyk inks, though Pantone has been known to change formula ratios in their inks too.