You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to make a decent black background?

I really can't understand why the edges always looks like a s*it after I have used this selection brush tool and then select invert pixel and painting the background with a black. How you making a black background on a picture with a sharp and exact edges?

Hi goju 1,

perhaps your selection is too soft or enlarged.

To manage this:

- Activate any selection tool

- then on top a selection tool bar appears

- click "Refine"

- a new window opens where you can choose your selection options

Affinity Photo provided some Video Tutorials to this topic. 

I hope, this would be helpful.

Greetings from the rainy Berlin

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

Hey CTU Jack Bauer!

Thanks for the answer! I've seen all these tutorial videos already and I was trying to do some adjust, but even so it doesn't match with the black background. It's almost impossible to get the line going straight to a objects edge. Every time I zoom the picture, I can see the tool isn't there I want it to go. I think it might be possible to get all the objects pixels, but the time it requires might be 1 to 2 hours. I don't have that much time to a one single tool. Think it's might occur my less inexperience.

Greetings from Finland too, last of three months there have been 5 sunny days at maximum  :D

Hi,

I think the photo is difficult to treat because it is not very sharp.

But it is possible. The selection is good but it have to be refined.

- click on the layer with the person

- "cmd & click" on the thumbnail to select

- then click on any selection tool

- on top the selection tool bar appears

- click on "refine"

- a window opens:

• reduce the featherness
  • reduce the selection size until you are happy
  • choose "output as a new layer". This allows you to look if you are done right non destructively.

- click "invert selection"

- then "backspace" to delete the unwanted background

- when you are happy with the result "cmd & D" to deselect, when you are not happy: try again with different parameter

for difficult areas:

in the refine window at the bottom you find the px-parameter-box. That's for the refine brush. Brush carefully over difficult areas and look if it works. If not, you can delete the steps with "cmd & Z".

Everyone of us needs training with this. Especially with a new software. A task for the dark days..... lol  :lol:

Try it further and further. I think, this selection needs 1-5 minutes.

I'm curious if it helps and works.

I provide Tutorials in german on YouTube.

Ciao

Jack

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

Thanks Jack...I am not really very "brainy" in this of the refinement of selections, so I mostly select my shapes or objects with the pen tool, adding a soft of blurring effect. I cannot find the way, though I have read many tutorials about it, either in Photoshop or in Affinity. I think I am going to work your instructions out and see what happens with them. You are clear and adding much more info than I have been able to find in the tutorials. I hope that they will help gaju as much ans he needs.

Kind greetings from Bilbao, Spain, to both!!!

Rosa