You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cursor jumps after Ctrl-Alt-Drag (brush property)

After using  Ctrl Alt Click Drag  to set brush properties then every time I release the modifier keys the cursor jumps down for a certain distance. This way the cursor can even move off the screen.

I experience this issue in all Affinity apps (Photo + Designer + APub StudioLink).

This auto-switching cursor position is especially disturbing when I am drawing at a specific object and just want to change a brush property + continue drawing from exactly the same position.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

In my video above I had released the mouse first. Now, when I release the keys first then the cursor jumps as soon I release the mouse button – and, additionally, if I then move the cursor to a different position and press again the modifier keys then the cursor jumps back to its previous position and I am able to repeat its jump again and again simply by pressing the modifier keys. So, the jumping cursor can occur a.) with key and b.) with button release, and c.) when keys get pressed.

In the video below I do...

1. increase brush size
  2. release keys (not visible)
  3. release mouse
  4. >> cursor jumps down
  5. manually move the cursor to the right
  6. press modifier keys (ctrl-alt)
  7. >> cursor jumps back to the left
  8. release modifier keys
  9. >> cursor jumps down
  10. press modifier keys
  11. >> cursor jumps back up
  12. repeat step 8–11  a few times
  13. move the cursor to the left
  14. ... etc.

Edited by thomaso
numbers in step 12 corrected

• Staff

Hi thomaso,

I see what you mean. If you first release the LMB, before releasing Ctrl+Alt+RMB does the issue stop happening? I believe its just caused by the order the keys are released and how it tracks the cursor's last known position.

2 minutes ago, Sean P said:

If you first release the LMB, before releasing Ctrl+Alt+RMB does the issue stop happening?

I can't answer this question, I am not using the right mouse button at all, just the left button only.
In macOS:  Ctrl. = RMB, / but not vice versa: I can't use RMB to cause this function of brush property edit, whereas as soon I press Ctrl-Alt then I see the cursor icon change already to this width/hardness symbol, caused just by the keys and entirely without clicking any mouse button.

The order of releasing the keys doesn't make a difference. I may even release the keys – either one or both, in any order, – after start dragging and still can adjust the brush property, with no key pressed but LMB only. If doing so then the cursor jumps on mouse (LMB) release (like shown in my 2nd video).

Additionally:

1.  If I release the LMB but keep both keys pressed
  2. –> then click-hold LMB again for 0,5 –1sec (longer than a double-click, which successfully toggles the brush property)
  3. –> then this 2nd click (LMB) makes the cursor jump, too.
  4. –> if I repeat 1+2 (LMB release > LMB click) then the cursor moves down step by step (click by click) until off the screen.

Mouse-Dragging has no influence / isn't necessary to cause the issue of the jumping cursor position.

• Staff
1 minute ago, thomaso said:

I can't answer this question, I am not using the right mouse button at all, just the left button only.
In macOS:  Ctrl. = RMB, / but not vice versa: I can't use RMB to cause this function of brush property edit, whereas as soon I press Ctrl-Alt then I see the cursor icon change already to this width/hardness symbol, caused just by the keys and entirely without clicking any mouse button.

The order of releasing the keys doesn't make a difference. I may even release the keys – either one or both, in any order, – after start dragging and still can adjust the brush property, with no key pressed but LMB only. If doing so then the cursor jumps on mouse (LMB) release (like shown in my 2nd video).

Additionally:

1.  If I release the LMB but keep both keys pressed
  2. –> then click-hold LMB again for 0,5 –1sec (longer than a double-click, which successfully toggles the brush property)
  3. –> then this 2nd click (LMB) makes the cursor jump, too.
  4. –> if I repeat 1+2 (LMB release > LMB click) then the cursor moves down step by step (click by click) until off the screen.

Mouse-Dragging has no influence / isn't necessary to cause the issue of the jumping cursor position.

Sorry about that I was thinking this was on Windows as we've had this reported on there.

I can still reproduce this on Mac and it happens when you release the keyboard shortcut whilst still having the LMB held down. If I release the LMB and then release Ctrl+Alt I don't get any form of brush jumping, but if I release Ctrl+Alt whilst holding down LMB and then move the mouse and release LMB I do get the cursor jumping.

However if you're saying you still get this even with releasing the LMB first can you attach a simple screen recording showing those additional steps with the on screen keyboard and mouse clicks visible please?

Yes, in this video both keys (Ctrl-Alt) remain pressed all time and no dragging is done. Only pressing LMB and releasing LMB.

After the first sequence of jumping cursor (~15 sec) I tried to show it again but then got problems with my click hold duration (?), so I struggled with the property changes instead. Also I noticed this way, to change the property it does NOT need a double-click (as I said in my last post) but a single, whereas apparently with a specific hold-duration (I still need trial&error to cause the property change).

• 3 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 3:49 PM, Sean P said:

I can still reproduce this on Mac and it happens when you release the keyboard shortcut whilst still having the LMB held down. If I release the LMB and then release Ctrl+Alt I don't get any form of brush jumping, but if I release Ctrl+Alt whilst holding down LMB and then move the mouse and release LMB I do get the cursor jumping.

However if you're saying you still get this even with releasing the LMB first can you attach a simple screen recording showing those additional steps with the on screen keyboard and mouse clicks visible please?

@Sean P, sorry I hadn't noticed your hint about keystrokes + clicks last time.

Unfortunately the issue still occurs in v1.8.4 in all three apps. Here's a new record with visible keystrokes + clicks, and with/without Separated Mode.

• Staff

Thanks for the videos - I've just been trying this in both Catalina and Mojave using 1.8.4 and still only seeing the jumping when releasing the keys first (as I mentioned above).

What kind of device are you using for the pointer? I've tried a standard USB mouse and also a Macbook Pro track pad with both the same behaviour. Do you have any other software running like tablet drivers or any other utility like applications?

I've tried showing the behaviour again that i'm getting but annoyingly Screenshot utility on my Mac is not showing mouse clicks despite enabling it! Note that whilst its done in Windowed mode, it behaves the same as separated.

I use a wired Lenovo USB mouse and have no other UI device/software plugged/installed.

You seem to work with the main screen / 1 monitor only. So I just did a quick test on the internal macbook screen and noticed the issue occurs for me on the external screen only. Since this is the larger monitor I don't want to switch panels / document windows. It seems there I get always the appearance like in the right half of your video, to me it is not any better to release the mouse button first. – Can you test with an external screen, too?

Like you I experienced the lack of visible mouse clicks in the macOS screenshot app (cmd-5), in particular on the external screen (on the internal screen it occurred very rare but I couldn't recognize a rule). Therefore I used the mousepose.app which displays key strokes and mouse clicks and runs independently from screen record software. But it doesn't affect the issue, before searching for this tool I did various trials and got same results.

p.s.: interesting: see the last frame in your video: the moment you stop recording the mouse click becomes visible. It may seem to have been covered before by the larger brush cursor but I had tried in finder windows with arrow cursor, too, without success.

• Staff
17 hours ago, thomaso said:

I use a wired Lenovo USB mouse and have no other UI device/software plugged/installed.

You seem to work with the main screen / 1 monitor only. So I just did a quick test on the internal macbook screen and noticed the issue occurs for me on the external screen only. Since this is the larger monitor I don't want to switch panels / document windows. It seems there I get always the appearance like in the right half of your video, to me it is not any better to release the mouse button first. – Can you test with an external screen, too?

Unfortunately that is correct - currently working from home I only have access to an iMac and MacBook Pro. The monitors I have connected up to my Windows PC are unfortunately just regular HDMI connections, so don't have any with Mini-DisplayPort/Thunderbolt connections to be able to have an external monitor to test.

I see your signature states you have an Eizo 24" monitor, which model is that? Also what resolution is this set too, and how is it connected (i.e which cables/connection type) up to your MacBook?

I shall see if any of the others have a similar set up available to them.

The external monitor is an Eizo FlexScan SX2462W, set to its max. 1920 x 1200   /   macbook thunderbold 2 > mini-DVI adapter > DVI Eizo   /   Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB + AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB (discrete)

Another user reporting this issue for Windows mentioned not experiencing it in v1.7.3 and stated  in a later post, it occurred with the multi-functionality of the brush cursor (setting of width & hardness + shape & spacing + rotation). I can not confirm or judge it (didn't know the opt-cmd brush setting at that time). But I do notice as mentioned previously issues with toggling the various settings, it seems not to switch just by further clicks but requires a mouse move first to switch successfully.

21 hours ago, Sean P said:

annoyingly Screenshot utility on my Mac is not showing mouse clicks despite enabling it!

Just to avoid misconnection of issues and to amend my recent feedback: I noticed meanwhile the occurrence of mouse clicks in screen records with the macOS tool depends on the used Affinity tool, e.g. mouse clicks do show up for the Move tool (if moving nodes only), for various selection tools and even the brush tool while painting – but not for e.g. hand and crop tool.