Jump to content

1.8.3 Color picking outside of the window gives wrong color


Recommended Posts

Hello,

when trying to select a color with the color picker from the color palette it shows and gives me the wrong color.

To reproduce just create an image. Fill it with 127 grey and save it. Open it with any program other than AP and try to pick the greyscale value from there. This gives me a value of 135. Opening the image and picking the color inside AP gives me the correct color. 

This bug prevents me from picking any color from outside AP since every color gets shifted in a for me random direction.

 

This happens with all colors, not only greyscale. Other color values get picked as follows

(255, 0, 0) gets picked as (247, 0, 0)

(0, 255, 0) gets picked as (50, 255, 0)

(0, 0, 255) gets picked as (38, 0, 255)

Resetting the settings didn't change anything on my side.

 

If this is my fault, please educate me on what I'm missing or doing wrong. Thank you!

 

AP Version is 1.8.3.641

 

 

Edited by FragmentX
Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it likely to be related to whether the "other" applications are color-managed or not? If they're not color managed, then they won't necessarily display the colors the same way that Affinity displays them, and in that case the picker would not give the same results as if you picked from within the Affinity application.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is also independent on the other application. I tried opening it in Gimp, Windows Photos, Paint, the image preview in the Windows Explorer as well as picking the color from the browser. And all give the same result that is different from when I pick it from inside Photo. 

The difference between 127 greyscale and 135 greyscale is very visible and it is not displayed incorrectly in any of these applications. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, FragmentX said:

This is also independent on the other application. I tried opening it in Gimp, Windows Photos, Paint, the image preview in the Windows Explorer as well as picking the color from the browser.

I don't think any of those applications do display color management as Photo does. But I know there are others with more expertise than I have in that area.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think any of those applications do display color management as Photo does. But I know there are others with more expertise than I have in that area.

I'm definetly no expert either. Still thank you. 

Nevertheless it bugs me that I cannot simply pick a color from my browser.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FragmentX said:

Nevertheless it bugs me that I cannot simply pick a color from my browser.

You can.

However, I think this is a true statement: As browsers don't do display color management, you can't be sure that what the browser displayed is an accurate representation of what the image actually contained, and thus the color you pick might not match the actual image color.

Again, though, I'd want comments from an actual expert.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FragmentX said:

Hello,

when trying to select a color with the color picker from the color palette it shows and gives me the wrong color.

To reproduce just create an image. Fill it with 127 grey and save it. Open it with any program other than AP and try to pick the greyscale value from there. This gives me a value of 135. Opening the image and picking the color inside AP gives me the correct color. 

This bug prevents me from picking any color from outside AP since every color gets shifted in a for me random direction.

 

This happens with all colors, not only greyscale. Other color values get picked as follows

(255, 0, 0) gets picked as (247, 0, 0)

(0, 255, 0) gets picked as (50, 255, 0)

(0, 0, 255) gets picked as (38, 0, 255)

Resetting the settings didn't change anything on my side.

 

If this is my fault, please educate me on what I'm missing or doing wrong. Thank you!

 

AP Version is 1.8.3.641

 

 

if Windows is the same as macOS with regard to picking colours on the screen, using the Affinity colour picker to get a colour from outside of the Affinity window will obtain RGB values of the colour in the display colour space (see the ICC profile that's assigned to your display in the system preferences/options) instead of the Affinity document colour space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FragmentX said:

Nevertheless it bugs me that I cannot simply pick a color from my browser.

I can, any colour I pick in a browser exactly matches the expected colour values when using the Affinity colour picker - my work would be pretty useless if it did not

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I can, any colour I pick in a browser exactly matches the expected colour values when using the Affinity colour picker - my work would be pretty useless if it did not

Sounds like you are working in a document that has the same colour space as your display? For example, are the document profile and the display profile both sRGB?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, anon2 said:

Sounds like you are working in a document that has the same colour space as your display? For example, are the document profile and the display profile both sRGB?

Yes they are.

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, carl123 said:

Yes they are.

That's why using the Affinity colour picker to get a colour from your browser window will result in the same appearance in the Affinity view of your document.

If your display had a different profile assigned, then the picked colour RGB values would have looked different in Affinity than in the browser window.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, anon2 said:

That's why using the Affinity colour picker to get a colour from your browser window will result in the same appearance in the Affinity view of your document.

If your display had a different profile assigned, then the picked colour RGB values would have looked different in Affinity than in the browser window.

This is it!

I played a bit with my display settings and a new color profile appeared in AP. With that one I can now perfectly pick colors. Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.