You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.3 Color picking outside of the window gives wrong color

Hello,

when trying to select a color with the color picker from the color palette it shows and gives me the wrong color.

To reproduce just create an image. Fill it with 127 grey and save it. Open it with any program other than AP and try to pick the greyscale value from there. This gives me a value of 135. Opening the image and picking the color inside AP gives me the correct color. 

This bug prevents me from picking any color from outside AP since every color gets shifted in a for me random direction.

This happens with all colors, not only greyscale. Other color values get picked as follows

(255, 0, 0) gets picked as (247, 0, 0)

(0, 255, 0) gets picked as (50, 255, 0)

(0, 0, 255) gets picked as (38, 0, 255)

Resetting the settings didn't change anything on my side.

If this is my fault, please educate me on what I'm missing or doing wrong. Thank you!

AP Version is 1.8.3.641

Edited by FragmentX

Isn't it likely to be related to whether the "other" applications are color-managed or not? If they're not color managed, then they won't necessarily display the colors the same way that Affinity displays them, and in that case the picker would not give the same results as if you picked from within the Affinity application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This is also independent on the other application. I tried opening it in Gimp, Windows Photos, Paint, the image preview in the Windows Explorer as well as picking the color from the browser. And all give the same result that is different from when I pick it from inside Photo. 

The difference between 127 greyscale and 135 greyscale is very visible and it is not displayed incorrectly in any of these applications. 

24 minutes ago, FragmentX said:

This is also independent on the other application. I tried opening it in Gimp, Windows Photos, Paint, the image preview in the Windows Explorer as well as picking the color from the browser.

I don't think any of those applications do display color management as Photo does. But I know there are others with more expertise than I have in that area.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think any of those applications do display color management as Photo does. But I know there are others with more expertise than I have in that area.

I'm definetly no expert either. Still thank you. 

Nevertheless it bugs me that I cannot simply pick a color from my browser.

1 minute ago, FragmentX said:

You can.

However, I think this is a true statement: As browsers don't do display color management, you can't be sure that what the browser displayed is an accurate representation of what the image actually contained, and thus the color you pick might not match the actual image color.

Again, though, I'd want comments from an actual expert.

-- Walt
PC:

6 hours ago, FragmentX said:

Hello,

when trying to select a color with the color picker from the color palette it shows and gives me the wrong color.

To reproduce just create an image. Fill it with 127 grey and save it. Open it with any program other than AP and try to pick the greyscale value from there. This gives me a value of 135. Opening the image and picking the color inside AP gives me the correct color. 

This bug prevents me from picking any color from outside AP since every color gets shifted in a for me random direction.

This happens with all colors, not only greyscale. Other color values get picked as follows

(255, 0, 0) gets picked as (247, 0, 0)

(0, 255, 0) gets picked as (50, 255, 0)

(0, 0, 255) gets picked as (38, 0, 255)

Resetting the settings didn't change anything on my side.

If this is my fault, please educate me on what I'm missing or doing wrong. Thank you!

AP Version is 1.8.3.641

if Windows is the same as macOS with regard to picking colours on the screen, using the Affinity colour picker to get a colour from outside of the Affinity window will obtain RGB values of the colour in the display colour space (see the ICC profile that's assigned to your display in the system preferences/options) instead of the Affinity document colour space.

15 minutes ago, FragmentX said:

I can, any colour I pick in a browser exactly matches the expected colour values when using the Affinity colour picker - my work would be pretty useless if it did not

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I can, any colour I pick in a browser exactly matches the expected colour values when using the Affinity colour picker - my work would be pretty useless if it did not

Sounds like you are working in a document that has the same colour space as your display? For example, are the document profile and the display profile both sRGB?

1 minute ago, anon2 said:

Sounds like you are working in a document that has the same colour space as your display? For example, are the document profile and the display profile both sRGB?

Yes they are.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just now, carl123 said:

Yes they are.

That's why using the Affinity colour picker to get a colour from your browser window will result in the same appearance in the Affinity view of your document.

If your display had a different profile assigned, then the picked colour RGB values would have looked different in Affinity than in the browser window.

1 minute ago, anon2 said:

That's why using the Affinity colour picker to get a colour from your browser window will result in the same appearance in the Affinity view of your document.

If your display had a different profile assigned, then the picked colour RGB values would have looked different in Affinity than in the browser window.

This is it!

I played a bit with my display settings and a new color profile appeared in AP. With that one I can now perfectly pick colors. Thank you!