You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

jagged brush stroke with windows ink option off

Hi Serif team, I really like Affinity Photo and Designer. I installed both AF and AD version 1.8.3.641 recently.

I'm having a problem which jagged or not smooth brush stroke occur while having the windows ink option turned off.

While having windows ink on, I have other windows 10 bugs or changes I'm not used to...

eg: different way in copying text while browsing website, cursor sometimes disappears while watching youtube videos, and other bugs while browsing website... etc.

pc and tablet:

• Windows 10
  • Huion HS610 pen tablet

windows_ink.jpg

Hi Chris B, jagged stroke persist whether I turn off windows ink setting only from Preferences > Tools inside Affinity or settings from both inside Affinity and Huion preferences panel.

If with only windows ink setting being turned off inside Huion preferences panel, brush stroke would be jagged and no pressure.

sorry for my weird writing, English isn't my first language and I'm learning it.

• Staff

Your best bet would be to have Windows Ink disabled from your preferences in the tablet driver but have it enabled in Affinity Photo. This way it should only be enabled for Affinity Photo it should not affect you outside of Affinity Photo with other apps.

• Staff

I've just looked at this again this morning and found disabling Windows Ink from the tablet preferences and inside Affinity gives me the best results. We should fall back to using Wintab in this case.

Also, drawing strokes at 100% zoom or bigger seems to draw smoother strokes. Less than 100% makes them more jagged. I'm going to spend some more time poking this. 

• 5 months later...

And please also look into Mac while you're at it. Lines are still jagged there too especially on low zoom levels. Not like the example here but actually the right example of the original poster. If you look closely it's still not smooth, there are some straight angles in the curved lines. This seems the same on my Macbook and even iPad.