You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashes when trying to open previous saved file

1. Are you using the latest release version?  Yes

2. Can you reproduce it? Yes

3. Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem? Doesn't happen for a new file.
  •  
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)?  Windows 10
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen) Everytime I try to open the previous file I was working on, Designer crashes. It will open a new document and other documents I have worked with fine.
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did).
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware) This is the first time I have experienced this problem, I havn't changed anything on my computer and have been using Affinity for a few weeks.

artboard 1.psd

• Staff

Hi Squidlet,

Thanks for the file - I can reproduce the crash here!

The file you've attached is a PSD - did the file start life as a PSD or was it started from a new document in Affinity? Is there any more history on the file you can give us?

If you're starting on a new document in Affinity I would suggest you always use the afdesign format as the main file you work on and then export to PSD as and when you need it. This is because the afdesign file is native to us and maintains the editability of your document.

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your response :)

It started as an affinity file, originally I had two art boards open 1000x1000 pixels each. This was the second artboard, which started lagging and freezing as I was working, which I assumed was because the file size was getting too big for what my laptop could handle maybe. So I was attempting to break both artboards into their own files, so I used the export option with just this artboard selected and saved it as a PSD as I couldn't find the affinity file symbol?  The other artboard from the same project which I saved as the same file type is opening fine, and when I view the file in my computer folder, it shows the affinity symbol? Is there another file type that would work better than PSD for this exporting?

• Staff
1 hour ago, Squidlet said:

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your response :)

It started as an affinity file, originally I had two art boards open 1000x1000 pixels each. This was the second artboard, which started lagging and freezing as I was working, which I assumed was because the file size was getting too big for what my laptop could handle maybe. So I was attempting to break both artboards into their own files, so I used the export option with just this artboard selected and saved it as a PSD as I couldn't find the affinity file symbol?  The other artboard from the same project which I saved as the same file type is opening fine, and when I view the file in my computer folder, it shows the affinity symbol? Is there another file type that would work better than PSD for this exporting?

Interestingly the file opens ok on Mac! Having a look at it there are a lot of compound objects that may have causing some slowdown. There is no Affinity option on the Export dialog as that is for other file formats. You can delete the extra artboard and just use File > Save As to save it as a new file (as to not overwrite the one you're working on) - this will retain the Affinity format. Unless you absolutely need PSD for interchange between different applications then you would be better with sticking to the Affinity format.