You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't change the shortcut key for Paint Brush Tool and Pixel Tool

I have read a few threads, but I just want to know if it's still designed not to be able to assign different shortcut for Paint Brush Tool and Pixel Tool on Affinity Designer. Does anyone know? 

It just doesn't make sense to be customizable.

Menu Edit, Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts, section Pixel (first combobox), Tools (second combobox), scroll down list. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 weeks later...

@Pšenda

Thank you for your response and sorry for not being clear. My problem is after I use the preference that you showed to assign different shortcut keys for paint brush tool and pixel tool (originally they share the same one "B"). If I close the program and re-open, they will come back to the same shortcut. Somewhere in the forum, I read that's how affinity designed, but it just don't make sense to my head and driving me a bit crazy... cuz sometimes I tap the shortcut too quick and shift to pixel tool, and I use it without noticing it.

28 minutes ago, Sarge said:

@Pšenda

Thank you for your response and sorry for not being clear. My problem is after I use the preference that you showed to assign different shortcut keys for paint brush tool and pixel tool (originally they share the same one "B"). If I close the program and re-open, they will come back to the same shortcut. Somewhere in the forum, I read that's how affinity designed, but it just don't make sense to my head and driving me a bit crazy... cuz sometimes I tap the shortcut too quick and shift to pixel tool, and I use it without noticing it.

This is how I configured it - pixel tool has no shortcut - and this setting is kept permanently. Yours is reset after exiting the program?

image.png.550a35bdcb5e6529eb9db8b935c56595.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

@Jowday

Thanks for your reply. Doesn't work at all on mine... I also deleted the Pixel Tool shortcut as you did, but a minute I shut down the program and re-open, it comes back with the same damn shortcut. 

Hm. Then it is time for Serif to step in. I can Google quite a few threads about shortcuts not being saved with none of the issues solved. Seems to be Mac only. Mac? 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

@Jowday

Yeah when I looked up the issue, I encountered them and one of them said actually it was designed that way by the moderator. And Yes it's on my MacBook Pro.

Of course it should remember your custom settings across sessions. And it does on Windows.

Lets see if Serif has some advice.

It is a strange world. Serif designed all Affinity apps mostly for Macs and iPads but my feeling is that the majority of issues are on the Mac. So many reports.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 5/17/2020 at 7:04 AM, Sarge said:

@Jowday

Yeah when I looked up the issue, I encountered them and one of them said actually it was designed that way by the moderator. And Yes it's on my MacBook Pro.

Just wanted to let you know that this has been logged with the developers to be fixed :)

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2020 at 8:42 AM, Leigh said:

Just wanted to let you know that this has been logged with the developers to be fixed :)

Well, that doesn't seem to mean much.

We cleared the Pixel Brush shortcut and it still gets selected when we hit B. So we changed it to L, which made the B go to the real brush, but as stated above, as soon as we quit out and restart Designer, the Pixel Brush shortcut is reset in the preferences and B now sends us to the Pixel Brush again.

Worse, we have the Use SHIFT Key to Cycle Through Tools turned on to keep from having to check if we've jumped to some other tool when we press the shortcut, so B will put us on the Pixel Brush and then not let us get to the REAL brush.

So, no plans to fix this? Ever?

Just now, Hens said:

There's currently a bug with the shortkeys not being sticky after closing the program mostly in afdesigner.
That's why it reverts back to the default.

Yes. The point being, it's been over a year and eight months since it was logged.

We're fortunate that we work almost exclusively in vector.

Never understood why Pixel Brush is made the primary brush. Personally, we've yet to meet anyone who uses it other than getting through it to get to the paint brush.

Maybe we live sheltered lives.

• Staff
20 hours ago, skmwrp said:

Well, that doesn't seem to mean much.

We cleared the Pixel Brush shortcut and it still gets selected when we hit B. So we changed it to L, which made the B go to the real brush, but as stated above, as soon as we quit out and restart Designer, the Pixel Brush shortcut is reset in the preferences and B now sends us to the Pixel Brush again.

Worse, we have the Use SHIFT Key to Cycle Through Tools turned on to keep from having to check if we've jumped to some other tool when we press the shortcut, so B will put us on the Pixel Brush and then not let us get to the REAL brush.

So, no plans to fix this? Ever?

Unfortunately, this is still logged with our developers to be fixed but i'm unable to give you any ETA for when it will be fixed, sorry.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS] Keyboard shortcut for Pixel Category > Tools doesn't save after a restart" (REF: AF-206) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2083".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.