You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I switch off Preflight error for missing Dictionary en-NO

I have a customized Mac with an English MacOS version and a Norwegian keyboard, since I am Norwegian. However, much of the DTP work I do on Affinity Publisher is in English. A big project I'm working on at the moment is entirely written in English. However, when I run the Preflight check I get a mile long list stating:

Missing dictionary for language
(en-NO)

I have followed the instructions here 

but the problem is that I cannot find any dictionary named (en-NO). And I have switched on every Norwegian and English dictionary in System Preferences in my MacOS and restarted Affinity Publisher, but the error messages persist. Now I just want to exclude that type of error message, because in the first edition of the document I was working on, some important error messages had snuck in between the enormous amounts of "Missing dictionary for language (en-NO)" which I didn't notice. I enclose two screenshots, and as you can see, it is extremely difficult to spot the real important messages in the sea of nonsensical "missing dictionary" messages that reports on every page over and over.

Since the missing dictionary message isn't important, and the spell checking of the English text in the document works just fine, I would very much just get rid of the dictionary error messages so they don't inadvertently hide actual important error messages.

How do I do that? Is it even possible, or is there a workaround?

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 23.25.18.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 23.26.58.jpg

1 hour ago, Norway4T said:

A big project I'm working on at the moment is entirely written in English.

I am not understanding entirely yet.
– Have you set all used texts & text styles to English?
– Or is there anywhere "en-NO" appearing in the language menus within the Character Panel if you select with text tool a text passage which creates a missing message?
– Can you detect why a few Spelling Mistakes are not missing the dictionary and seem to report as expected?
– Workaround: Have you tried to rename a copy of existing dictionary folder/files in your macOS according to Affinities needs?

2 hours ago, Norway4T said:

I would very much just get rid of the dictionary error messages so they don't inadvertently hide actual important error messages.

Apparently we cannot deactivate spelling messages selectively in the preflight preferences.
In case you want to deactivate spelling preflight completely: In the Preflight Panel click the hamburger menu right to the profile menu > choose either "Edit Profile" to edit the existing "Default" or choose "Create preset..." to create a new, custom set, maintaining the apps Default preset. In the next window select the "Spelling" option and click "Disabled".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

If you make sure you don't have any text set to use en-NO then I don't think you should get those warnings.

But you could either:

• Use the Preflight studio panel to edit the Preflight profile and turn off the Spelling warnings, which I think would also get rid of the dictionary messages (but I can't check easily):
    image.png.aac535d034cc5086fbdd0ca57cd95ff4.png

• Or (possibly) make a copy of the English dictionaries and install them as en-NO dictionaries.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

then I don't think you should get those warnings.

... but then also the useful spelling warnings won't appear ;)

@Norway4T, can you upload screenshots of your language settings in...

... macOS keyboard language:
1061138522_language1.jpg.d40eedc015137c41388312dbc32ffe15.jpg

... APub application language:
826591925_language2.jpg.fffd9bcf6cc6ca9bfe1eaeeac45eceda.jpg

... Character Panel when an affected text passage is selected:
628144501_language3.jpg.d88beebf96448c7308ffc570ec5c954c.jpg

By the way, I think the underlying issue is the same as in this bug report, which has been logged:

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

The solution presented itself with something thomaso said, I should check my language settings in Character Styles. I had made several Character Styles, but I hadn't done anything to set the language options in these styles. Simply setting them to English resolved (most of) the problems. There are a few error messages left, but I figure they are down to sloppy formatting on my part, so once I have formatted with correct styles, I should have a "clean slate" as to those pesky errors I got at the beginning.

THANK YOU THOMASO & WALT!!! 👍You're the best, guys!!!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue: my MacOS UI and AFP are set to use English Language. However my keyboard and spelling settings are set to "Automatic". For some reason AFP gets confused since it looks for a en-CH dictionary that doesn't exist. Yes, I switch between several languages. It is my reality. Now I don't understand why I can't make AFP understand that my document is this time in French. Well it partly understands: I changed the language for all text fields and in the "base" text style. Ok it works: no more red underline, but preflight still complaints that "Missing dictionary for language (en-CH)". This dictionary doesn't exist that is correct, but why is AFP believing it has to find it?

It seems confused that I use a EN HMI both for MacOS and AFP and that I try to spell French. This assumption is ridiculous, since only the text language setting shall be taken into account which in my case is fr-CH... It is exactly the same issue as described by Norway4T. Please AFP team fix this issue and stop assuming that the HMI language shall be the one to use for spelling...

13 minutes ago, DrM0lek said:

Ok it works: no more red underline, but preflight still complaints that "Missing dictionary for language (en-CH)". This dictionary doesn't exist that is correct, but why is AFP believing it has to find it?

Because you still have some text, somewhere, that is specified as being in en-CH. If you've changed all the text styles, then it's probably some small piece of text that isn't using a text style.

If you double-click on the Preflight error message it should take you to that text.

-- Walt
PC:

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Because you still have some text, somewhere, that is specified as being in en-CH

Though the issue / preflight errors may get fixed by the user manually I still think such "missing" should not be able to happen. Note the user can't intentionally set such a combination of English + a Non-English variant, it's rather APub assuming or creating such oddity.

It appears, APub isn't able to respect/consider 2 languages within 1 text and report them in the UI accordingly. Here the frame is set to English but spell check and character panel still recognizes "English" even for the words which is set to German via character style:

424576873_languageendeutsch.thumb.jpg.0f25573c9febb67368a27891aff4eb88.jpg

59 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It appears, APub isn't able to respect/consider 2 languages within 1 text and report them in the UI accordingly. Here the frame is set to English but spell check and character panel still recognizes "English" even for the words which is set to German via character style:

Can you provide that sample file?

-- Walt
PC:

34 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Here's the .afpub  v193 language settings 2-in-1.afpub
Black text is set to English, orange to German.

When I open your file & select "ein bisschen Deutsch" the Character panel's Typography > Spelling section shows it is set to English, not German:

1562101839_SettoEnglish.jpg.980ed2974dad10cd84ebf4aa2998de84.jpg

In fact, that whole frame text block is set to English.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R, yes, that's the problem: the character style has German assigned but can't get through for any reason.

The frame itself in my understanding doesn't have a language, only its containing text does. I assume it says English because of its first character is set to English. (Similar UI feedback issue: Compare text color for selected text frames, or fill color for various shapes with different fills.)

Try with this 2-language frame:
1. select the frame > set it to None
2. select all text > set it to English
3. select the frame again: now it says English
4. select the orange text + check its text style setting: it's still German

Try this:

1. Select (highlight) just the "ein bisschen Deutsch" text like I have done in my screenshot.

2. In the Character panel, in the Language > Spelling dropdown, change "English" to "German" (for me that is "Deutch).

When I do that, the misspelling underline disappears. Does that not work for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, that works but doesn't solve the issue. What about the language set in the Character Style Editor? It doesn't make much sense to create & apply a saved character style and then set its language manually for each of its text instances.

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

What about the language set in the Character Style Editor?

How did you set it? As I mentioned above, the definition is showing an inconsistency, because you did not specify German as the Spelling Language for the Character text style. It is completely mystifying to me why German is showing up at all for that style. But since the definition is evidently messed up, that is probably contributing to your issue.

image.png

-- Walt
PC:

To me the style definition says German, as shown in my first related screenshot above with both Character panel + Style Editor window.
Thereby you get German listed at the bottom. The mystifying isn't where German does appear but rather where it does not / is not respected – although it is set.

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:

To me the style definition says German, as shown in my first related screenshot above with both Character panel + Style Editor window

And for me, from my screenshot, the spelling language is not properly set in the character text style.

So, somehow, that text style is messed up.

-- Walt
PC:

Is it that ("typewriter orange") text style in particular?

Can you create + upload an .afpub with 2 styles / 2 languages in 1 text paragraph which works for you?

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

To me the style definition says German

It does for me too. However, if I select the orange "ein bisschen Deutsch" text & then in the Edit Text Styles panel change it to some other language & back to German (Deutsch for me) again, the misspelling underlining goes away. Fixed? v193 language settings 2-in-1.afpub

Affinity Photo 

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

change it to some other language & back

Same positive result: with the orange text selected change its char style to another and back. Here also this workaround makes the misspelling underlining go away. So there are ways for the app to achieve a correct result – it just seems the app needs manual support. Not a useful option for users, to check text instances of a char style because the software 'feels' somehow irritated.

Possibly related: If I select 1 misspelled orange word + choose from the context bar "+a  New Style…" I get a different result than with choosing from the Styles panel +a > "Create Character Style". While the first way switches on hovering over the command to the look & language of the black text (unexpected) + offers the name "Style", the panel method offers "typewriter orange 1" + maintains look of the currently selected text (expected) but with English, too (unexpected).

647347781_languagecharstylenew1.jpg.c9eca45cc55b734454920176fa594647.jpg <––>  1505190315_languagecharstylenew2.jpg.b27793c88dd1e5d88febf8822757a865.jpg

With both methods the language "Deutsch" isn't recognized and gets overwritten by "Englisch" – though the currently saved style of the selected text has "Deutsch" set in its style definition. However, I would neither expect that the two ways of "+a" would cause two different results nor that one of them would ignore the currently selected look but switches to the appearance of different, not selected text of that frame.

Works fine if I start with a Paragraph Style (English) which has the language set to English and then make a Character Style (Orange) based on English. The Character Style has the different language set.

What doesn't work is having text set in [No Style] and no change set for the language in the paragraph/character panels for that text.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@thomaso, I am not sure what to make of your "+a" experiments -- it seems possible that what you are getting is 'by design' but I do not know enough about using multiple languages to do more than guess about that.

One thing I did notice just now is if I put the text cursor anywhere in one of the "typewriter orange" words (nothing highlighted, just between two characters) & then from the context toolbar character style popup menu just reselect "typewriter orange" (without toggling to any of the other choices) then that word shows as spelled correctly.

I am beginning to wonder if there is something unique about this document that is causing all the odd results or if it is something you can duplicate in others made from scratch with the same style settings.

Affinity Photo 

21 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Works fine if I start with a Paragraph Style (English) which has the language set to English and then make a Character Style (Orange) based on English. The Character Style has the different language set.

Yes, that works, too. But there is no paragraph style necessary. In my test .afpub (which has no paragraph style assigned) I can temporarily apply a paragraph style and then set back paragraph to [No Style]. Also this toggling appears to fix the underlined German words. As if in my file the character style wasn't fully applied.

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure what to make of your "+a" experiments

1. I was wondering, if it is expected or useful when you have some text selected which already is styled different to the rest of the paragraph and hover over the menu option "+a New Style..." that then the style gets kind of auto-set to the style of the paragraph and loses that way its current style difference.

2. I would expect both +a commands (menu and panel) would work the same. – If not, what exactly are the differences?

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

One thing I did notice just now is if I put the text cursor anywhere in one of the "typewriter orange" words (nothing highlighted, just between two characters) & then from the context toolbar character style popup menu just reselect "typewriter orange" (without toggling to any of the other choices) then that word shows as spelled correctly.

I am beginning to wonder if there is something unique about this document that is causing all the odd results or if it is something you can duplicate in others made from scratch with the same style settings.

Yes, indeed. It seems that in my sample the character style is applied with its visual settings but not fully assigned concerning its language. I assume meanwhile the order in my workflow did cause this issue. It initially was a character style I often used before for quick trials and which had its language set to [No change]. I can't exactly remember but possibly I have applied the style and afterwards I have set its language.

This recipe seems to work to reproduce the issue with entirely fresh items:

1.  Create a new character style, keep everything as “[No change]” except font + color (to make obvious if its applied)
  2.  Create a new text frame with [No Style]. Type some text in a language (A).
  3.  In the same paragraph add some words in a different language (B).
  4.  Now either select all text with the text tool / or select the entire frame with the move tool.
  5.  In the Character Panel set its Spelling language accordingly to language A..
  6.  Select the part of text in language B and apply the prepared character style.
  7.  Open the Style Editor and set this character style's language B accordingly and confirm to close the window.

This workflow seems to result in an indifferent language state of those text which has the character style assigned. With other words, there is a limitation which isn't clear by the UI: An applied character style may get any of its properties changed – but not its language.