You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use OCIO when compositing renders from Blender (Filmic)?

Hi, I recently switched to Affinity Photo from Photoshop.

I used to composite my renders as 16bit PNGs in Photoshop. But, since Affinity Photo supports all adjustments and filters in 32bit mode, I started compositing in 32bit using EXR files.

However, now the problem is OCIO. The renders from Blender use Filmic color management. As per @James Ritson 's tutorial on baking color space transforms using OCIO adjustment layers, I added two OCIO adjustments -- one from Linear to Filmic sRGB and the second one from sRGB to Linear (with view transform set to ICC in 32bit Preview mode). But, now my question is, where should I add my adjustments (curves, levels, etc.) for compositing? Below or above these two OCIO adjustments? Or should I add them between these two? 

And also, the problem is, Filmic makes JPEG or PNG layers look very washed out. So, I am currently placing my JPEG or PNG layers (e.g. cutouts) above these two OCIO adjustments and any adjustments that I need to make to my EXR layers, I keep the below these two OCIO adjustments.

Am I doing this right? Or is the a different way to do this properly?

@salaivv I'm just copy pasting my reply on the blender.community forum, so forgive me if Fusion is mentioned there.

here's one of my reply about your exporting question:
"There are 2 possible setups here (and it's the same as in Fusion too, there are ocio in LUT preview, and ocio colourspace node).

In AP, after you finished your editing/compositing, add another ocio adjustment to convert the sRGB to Linear (it would break the preview image in AF, but it'll be corrected upon exporting), from there just export it as usual to your file format destination.

In short, 2 possible setups in AP would be like this:

1. Open EXR file > set the 32-bit preview to Unmanaged > create ocio adjustment layer (Linear to Filmic RGB) and keep it in the top layer > edit your image > put another ocio adjustment (sRGB to Linear) on top of previous ocio layer > Export

2. Open EXR file > set the 32-bit preview to OCIO Display Transform (Filmic-sRGB) > edit your image > create 2 ocio adjustment like in step 1 > export

AFAIK, EXR always expecting linear colourspace upon exporting, that's why we create another ocio layer to convert it back to linear.

Those 2 steps should be identical in the image, the only difference is on the histogram/scope readout, if you want the histogram to be the same as in Blender, then go with the step 1."

Notes: in that thread i using ACES as an example, but it's the same workflow as FILMIC, the difference is just the config and colour transform u used.

And about the adjustment, it's best to place it before the two OCIO adjustment, and about your JPG or PNG file, you have to transform it to the linear space (assuming your images is in sRGB colour mode, with clipped OCIO adjustment layer) if you want to place it before the 2 OCIO adjustment so that the colour space matched.

Hope that helps.

• 6 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 8:34 AM, telemax said:

And Voila, infinite thanks for this clear, simple and direct explanation Telemax.

I just started with OCIO-ACES and bumped with the export issue no matter how many posts I read until I found yours.

I really think, given the fundamental importance of OCIO workflow for many of us newbies with AP,  that your post should be a sticky post on specific OCIO category in the forum. Had I found it yesterday it would have saved me several hours of trials ( to no use ) and searches on the topic to the point of getting my head dizzy with all the color science discussions and approaches in this forum. I went to bed ready to give up on AP and get back into After Effects subscription just to be able to procces ACES files.

I watched the AP video about using the Blender filmic look but it misses the export point. 

I hope I won’t miss other useful videos you might upload! Thanks again.

• 6 months later...
have an issue with that. I did every step, but the picture looks oversaturated. ICC Display Transform looks way better but still incorrect. I think there is a problem with ocio file I use, which is from 2.92 version. The problem is when I apply sRGB and Filmic – I see no changes. I also selected ocio search folder on mac