You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers + Selection

Hello, 

I searched the threads. It might just be me or it was mentioned under a different headline. Sorry about that.

1/ Why is the whole image affected by ADJUSTMENTS intended for a single selected layer?? I can't find any locking, separation, nothing except hiding all the other layers which defeats purposes of adjustments.

2/ Selecting an area (object) on one layer and trying to just FLIP, flips the whole layer instead of the selected alone???

3/ If a placed image isn't rasterised before editing, marquee area, and you cut, the layer/image is deleted entirely.!!?

4/ After a while the layers show nothing, when working w. 10+ layers? No thumbnails, nothing, just dark grey squares. (see added picture - 3 objects in cluster on each their layer because you cannot edit a single selected area and flip only that, if they're on the same layer - as per adjustments - selected layers should isolate effects to selected (marquee'd)  

5/ Layer names are just accessed too easy. Copying layers and you're in the "layer"  but thinking you're on the artboard.

6/ Colour picker . When you swap to tool the swatch goes to "background" colour

ESC is a really useful shortcut. SHIFT/ALT also critical for tools and mouseclick + ALT seems completely overlooked..

Sometimes the app seems just goes into some weird dead zone, you can't select or deselect anything, nothing happens and you got no clue what's going on.

There's a flicker in sharpness/focus.

This is just what I noticed. I might be wrong and the app has novel approaches I haven't figured out.

Best regards

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 19.06.41.png

50 minutes ago, SKO said:

1/ Why is the whole image affected by ADJUSTMENTS intended for a single selected layer?? I can't find any locking, separation, nothing except hiding all the other layers which defeats purposes of adjustments.

That is controlled by where you place the adjustment in the layer stack. It affects the single layer it is nested within, or all layers below it if it is not nested within another layer.

52 minutes ago, SKO said:

2/ Selecting an area (object) on one layer and trying to just FLIP, flips the whole layer instead of the selected alone???

That would depend on how you are trying to perform the flip, and what you have selected. In your screenshot, for example, you don't have any objects to select.

54 minutes ago, SKO said:

3/ If a placed image isn't rasterised before editing, marquee area, and you cut, the layer/image is deleted entirely.!!?

Correct. An (Image) layer is not a (Pixel) layer. It is a single object, kind of like a vector object, with no pixels that you can select and operate on. If you need to access the pixels, you need to Rasterize it first.

56 minutes ago, SKO said:

5/ Layer names are just accessed too easy. Copying layers and you're in the "layer"  but thinking you're on the artboard.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean there. Can you clarify that, please. Also, a terminology note: in Photo you normally do not have Artboards. You have the canvas, and you have the workspace area outside the canvas (sometimes called the pasteboard). An Artboard is a term specific (usually, with Affinity) to the Designer application.

Also, none of these seem particularly relevant to the beta version of Affinity Photo. And there is no active beta for Photo on Mac right now. Did you post this in the wrong forum? Did you perhaps want Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows) instead?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

>6. Colour picker . When you swap to tool the swatch goes to "background" colour

Ugh... i can tell a lot about this. In short - DONT USE X KEY, which has not the same effect as in Photoshop. Use Shift-X.
AP have a concept of "Two foreground colors" - one for brush/tool and another "foreground" for everything else.

More details here - 

1 hour ago, IPv6 said:

>6. Colour picker . When you swap to tool the swatch goes to "background" colour

Ugh... i can tell a lot about this. In short - DONT USE X KEY, which has not the same effect as in Photoshop. Use Shift-X.
AP have a concept of "Two foreground colors" - one for brush/tool and another "foreground" for everything else.

More details here - 

Wow, thx for this...! The "logic" of it?! %^) 

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That is controlled by where you place the adjustment in the layer stack. It affects the single layer it is nested within, or all layers below it if it is not nested within another layer.

That would depend on how you are trying to perform the flip, and what you have selected. In your screenshot, for example, you don't have any objects to select.

Correct. An (Image) layer is not a (Pixel) layer. It is a single object, kind of like a vector object, with no pixels that you can select and operate on. If you need to access the pixels, you need to Rasterize it first.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean there. Can you clarify that, please. Also, a terminology note: in Photo you normally do not have Artboards. You have the canvas, and you have the workspace area outside the canvas (sometimes called the pasteboard). An Artboard is a term specific (usually, with Affinity) to the Designer application.

Also, none of these seem particularly relevant to the beta version of Affinity Photo. And there is no active beta for Photo on Mac right now. Did you post this in the wrong forum? Did you perhaps want Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows) instead?

Sure feels like a Beta to me, there are a lot of "glitches" or "illogical" holes in the user experience. 

Thx for the tips. It's a bit "backward" or makes for more work around the actual work. 

I will check out the forums. Thx again.

56 minutes ago, SKO said:

Wow, thx for this...! The "logic" of it?! %^) 

i think this is legacy decision // but it is really sad it is not described anywhere.

Overall AP is quite stable and capable, for some features even superior to PH. But you have to learn "AP ways" for some tasks //

4 minutes ago, IPv6 said:

i think this is legacy decision // but it is really sad it is not described anywhere.

Overall AP is quite stable and capable, for some features even superior to PH. But you have to learn "AP ways" for some tasks //

I agree. It is so close and yes, some things are actually clever but there are some critical "misses" + "glitches" which might not be well explained or even covered. "Help" is not all-encompassing.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.