You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste FX does not retain settings.

Hello,

I right-click on an object in the layers menu and choose copy. I then click on another object in the layers menu to make it active. I go to Edit > Paste FX to apply the FX. In this case, the copied FX was a Bevel/Emboss - Radius 0.5 px, Soften 1 px. What was pasted was Pillow - 0.6 px, Soften 1.2 px. The other settings seem to remain the same, however, they were the default. I would have hoped that the FX paste would retain all the settings contained from the original copy and would be pasted but this seems not to be the case. I am learning to use this software and maybe I am just missing the proper sequence of steps.

Macbook Pro mid-2014, 10.14.6, Designer 1.8.3.

Thank you.

Hi,

It's a long known annoying result of pasting styles/effects of the apps. Depending of the smaller or larger object you apply the effect on, it's be resized.

It's only interesting when drawing to adjust the strokes, for example, but in all the other situations, we'd rather have the effects/styles applied with exactly the same values.

For now, there's no way to set its values back to size 100% (what we want when designing or doing layout), or disable this resizing: I hope you don't have too many parameters, since the only way is to select the items with the effect and set back the value to what you're expecting.

Hello and thank you for your replies.

If it helps, I also noticed that as I cycled through the objects in the layers palette, I noticed that while the numerical values (which I manually changed to all be the same) remained the same, the slider bubbles moved left or right slightly, a pixel or two. The FX panel was open on my second monitor.

Have a great day, Rick.

While it's true that the sizes of the effects may differ, I've never seen the basic type of effect change. ReallyLuckyDog said that they copied a Bevel/Emboss but what pasted was a Pillow.

That seems odd, unless @ReallyLuckyDog fell into an easy trap: When you're looking at the effects panel, the effect that is highlighted (blue) on the left is the one whose settings you see on the right. But the effect(s) that are actually applied are the ones that are checked on the left. It's easy to think you're looking at the settings for one effect when you're really looking at the settings for another, if you don't know what they're supposed to look like.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's easy to think you're looking at the settings for one effect when you're really looking at the settings for another,

It's indeed a trap and an issue in the UI. – But related to this topic a menu selection inside one effect might be have changed after copy/paste:

23 hours ago, ReallyLuckyDog said:

copied FX was a Bevel/Emboss - Radius 0.5 px, Soften 1 px. What was pasted was Pillow

"Emboss" and "Pillow" are both available subsettings of the effect "Bevel/Emboss":

720819586_effectbevelsubsettings.jpg.43a70758e097c8e0b56aea75879b0466.jpg

For this topic again: There is only this 1 effect which offers pillow + radius + soften. So a report about their changed values is hardly related to a different effect.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hello

Here are a copy from and copy to screenshot. In this case the change was minute, it shows the values have changed and the sliders have moved for both radius and soften.

I understand that this is something I need to be aware of going forward. Thank you for the replies.

Have a great day, Rick.

1978107449_Copyfrom.png.3086f0018668208349c2e1403088b174.png1522117198_Copyto.png.279ebe7d90bbd7434fabff35543bbc24.png

• 1 year later...