You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm following "Affinity Photo Tutorial For Beginners - Top 10 Things Beginners Want to Know".  When video instructs me to "apply a mask to a photo" by selecting the Mask Icon the mask layer appears below (and indented) the Background layer.  However, when I select Mask Icon the mask layer appears above Background as a separate layer.

Attachment 1 - Photo of tutorial screen

Attachment 2 - Image of my screen in Affinity Photo on laptop

728390139_TutorialScreen.thumb.jpg.e5a6d565a9837bb0a6afda5336c448ac.jpg

My_Screen.png

GarryP To The Rescue Again!    😊

Thanks for your quick reply.  I had tried both Assistant options several times (child layer & new layer) but neither put the mask below Background. The attached image shows the result when I choose "child layer" option.  It appears that even though the mask layer still isn't below the Background, it works.  I'm using the latest Affinity Photo version 1.8.  Tutorial created June 2018.  Maybe there's just a difference in how the versions look?

2122302466_Masklayerinsidebackgroundlayer.png.b8b4b8988dd4d30d8cef902220ff0999.pngI was so intent on making my screen look exactly like the tutorial that I didn't even test the mask

1 hour ago, Robin L. said:

GarryP To The Rescue Again!    😊

Thanks for your quick reply.  I had tried both Assistant options several times (child layer & new layer) but neither put the mask below Background. The attached image shows the result when I choose "child layer" option.  It appears that even though the mask layer still isn't below the Background, it works.  I'm using the latest Affinity Photo version 1.8.  Tutorial created June 2018.  Maybe there's just a difference in how the versions look?

2122302466_Masklayerinsidebackgroundlayer.png.b8b4b8988dd4d30d8cef902220ff0999.pngI was so intent on making my screen look exactly like the tutorial that I didn't even test the mask

See the triangle to the left of the thumbnail for background. Click that and your layers will look the same as in the video.

@Robin L.

I just created a handy Layers Guide to help navigate some of the eccentricities of Layers and Masks.

I posted it in the Tutorial forum here:

Affinity Layers Guide - Understanding Masks, Moves, Crops, Clips, Adjustments

Seems like you have it figured out, but I thought some extra info wouldn't hurt, especially those who have the same questions. 😊