You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Publisher do not support 'No Hyphenation' function for 2byte language like Korean.

I'm a user of affinity Publisher 1.8.2.
It is a bit strange that the program does not support "No Hypenation" which can break the word in line.
I'm wondering if there is any set up to do this function. I've tried character, paragraphs menus and deselect all hyphenation related section.
All did not work. Are there any things I have missed?

This is handled in the Paragraph section of text styles, hyphenation can be disabled or you can add a minimum word length.

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/pages/Text/hyphenation.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

"Hyphenation" you mean is actual hyphenation that has hyphen symbol?
Or just line break in the middle of a words?

I don't see hyphens in Japanese/Chinese text but see line breaks in the middle of words.
But that's normal in Japanese/Chinese writing.

30 minutes ago, ashf said:

@firstdefenceI believe hyphenation rules does not work with Asian languages since there's no dictionary for them. 

Totally missed the title 🙄 and the korean ref, another cup of coffee required me thinks.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I suppose it's a bug or incompatibility with Korean language.
Japanese and Chinese(middle and right) have no hyphenation by default.
Lines just break at the end of the text frame.
Only Korean isn't shown like that. it rather look like Western language layout but no hyphenation.
Probably because only Korean has spaces between clauses.
So Affinity isn't recognizing language correctly.

Image 2020-04-26 at 12.20.52 AM.png

Thanks for all reply.
As ashf mentioned, Korean does not need any hyphenation in formatting paragraph. I set it "none" to hyphenation, it does not make any difference. 
Affinity supports spelling and even typography for Korean. Is it rather basic function to support? Any solutions available?

1. Publisher seems to recognize Korean as western language. So it does not break words in lines.
2. It does not support any hyphenation since it does not have Korean hyphenation dictionary.

So far it is my understating. Is this a easy fix bug? Do I need to report it as bug or any other solutions?

39 minutes ago, Big Tree said:

1. Publisher seems to recognize Korean as western language. So it does not break words in lines.
2. It does not support any hyphenation since it does not have Korean hyphenation dictionary.

So far it is my understating. Is this a easy fix bug? Do I need to report it as bug or any other solutions?

I don't think you've said what OS you're using, and Spelling works differently between MacOS and Windows.

Are you able to set the spelling language for your text to Korean? You would do that in the Character studio panel, near the bottom, in the Languages section.

If you cannot do that, then Publisher does not know what language you're using, and that is not a bug. It would just mean that you need to install the proper Hunspell Korean dictionaries. (Again, how you do that depends on your OS.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm using MacOS and I can select Korean in spelling in the Charcter panel in Language section.
I also select Korean in Typography. And set hyphenation "none" in Charcter Panel and deselect auto hyphenation in Paragraph panel.
But it did not make any changes on the word breaking behavior.
I've downloaded Hunspell Korean dictionaries but it only includes spelling dictionaries. no hype-XX files. only KO-Kr.dic/aff. I think Korean does not need hyphenation dictionary though.

If you're able to tell Publisher that your text is Korean, and it is breaking the lines incorrectly (in the middle of words?) then probably you should post in the Bugs forum. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Big Tree said:

It does not break at all as it should. Korean should break letter by letter in any sentence format without any hyphen symbol.
Thank you for your advice. I'll try to do that.

Yes, as I posted the test result above, only Korean is shown incorrectly even on Windows.
Affinity does not have any setting for Asian languages such as spelling or hyphenation and does not have dictionaries.
So I assume you should ask Serif to fix the way Korean is shown - the same way as Chinese/Japanese.

1 hour ago, ashf said:

Yes, as I posted the test result above, only Korean is shown incorrectly even on Windows.
Affinity does not have any setting for Asian languages such as spelling or hyphenation and does not have dictionaries.
So I assume you should ask Serif to fix the way Korean is shown - the same way as Chinese/Japanese.

Thank you!