You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm new to affinity and been using Adobe for years.

I want to record a macro that allows me to resize the size of a photo to 1000px and adjusting the height accordingly by keeping the same ratio.

In photoshop it was straight forward, but I'm kind of stuck right now and my work requires me to do this resize fast.

Unfortunately, the macro keeps the ratio of height and width.
But you can do this using Batch Job.  File > New Batch Job

Batch Job.png

3 hours ago, telemax said:

The macro will preserve the width and height used when recording the macro. Thus it will impose this  width,  height and aspect ratio  on all images to which it is applied.

But, as @telemax says, a Batch Job will do what you want without using a macro.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

14 hours ago, telemax said:

But you can do this using Batch Job.  File > New Batch Job

Batch Job.png

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

This is OK in case I wanted to only apply some macros and resize only. But in my case I need to use macros and resize between the macros and later on resize again.

I want to know if there is any hope of getting this feature alongside the open and save and close functions using macros in the near future?

26 minutes ago, Abdulla Yusuf said:

But in my case I need to use macros and resize between the macros and later on resize again.

I am unclear as to what you are trying to achieve here. Could you outline your workflow step by step. Then we will better be able to help you.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

23 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I am unclear as to what you are trying to achieve here. Could you outline your workflow step by step. Then we will better be able to help you.

John

OK John,

Thanks for helping out.

In vertical photos suppose(2600px x 3900px) that is not a fixed size and changes from one photo to another. 

My workflow is as follows:

-Open the image file(Layer 0)

-Resize the width of Layer 0 to 1000px keeping the aspect ratio

-Duplicate the layer to(Layer 1)

-Resize the canvas width 2500px without affecting the height

-Resize Layer 0 width to 2500px keeping its aspect ratio

-Apply Gaussian blur to Layer 0

-Select Layer 1

-Select the outline of Layer 1 (30px / Center / Circular)

-Apply Gaussian blur to the selection

-Resize the image width to 1000px keeping the aspect ratio

-Saving the image

1 hour ago, Abdulla Yusuf said:

Select the outline of Layer 1 (30px / Center / Circular)

I can follow your workflow except for the item quoted above. Could you please clarify. A copy of the kind of image you are working with would help.

John

23 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I can follow your workflow except for the item quoted above. Could you please clarify. A copy of the kind of image you are working with would help.

John

Here is an example showing the before and after including a photo that shows what the selection outline does.

Photo by Dave Goudreau on Unsplash

Before_Editing.jpg

After_Editing.jpg

Outline.jpg

@Abdulla YusufI think your problem lies in the fact that when resizing (either Document or Canvas, it affects the whole document. In your case, it affects both layers. What you need to do is:

1. Document > Resize set width to 1000px (ensure that the lock is unclicked).
  2. Make a copy to the clipboard (Control/Command-C).
  3. The current document will become the background (enlarged and blurred).
  4. Document > Resize setting width to 2500 (or 250%) (ensure that the lock is unclicked)
  5. Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur - I set it to 5px.
  6. Document > Resize Canvas. Unlock by clicking on the lock. Set width to 100% and height to 40%. (The 40% here restores the original height.)
  7. This completes the background layer.
  8. Paste the original image back onto the background using Control/Command-V.
  9. Click on the background (enlarged and blurred) layer and Cut (Control/Command-X).
  10. Document > Resize Canvas Unlock the lock and set the width to 250% (or 2500px).
  11. Paste the cut background onto this (Control/Command-V.)
  12. Drag this layer underneath the lower layer.

This should now complete the action and it should all be recordable as a macro.

John

See if the attached macro works

Seems to work on the supplied test image and a few others I tried

Note: Final document size of 2502px (width) and not exactly 2500px is due to rounding up errors in the app not me

Import the macro via the Library Panel not the Macro Panel 

Abdulla.afmacros

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, John Rostron said:

@Abdulla YusufI think your problem lies in the fact that when resizing (either Document or Canvas, it affects the whole document. In your case, it affects both layers. What you need to do is:

1. Document > Resize set width to 1000px (ensure that the lock is unclicked).
  2. Make a copy to the clipboard (Control/Command-C).
  3. The current document will become the background (enlarged and blurred).
  4. Document > Resize setting width to 2500 (or 250%) (ensure that the lock is unclicked)
  5. Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur - I set it to 5px.
  6. Document > Resize Canvas. Unlock by clicking on the lock. Set width to 100% and height to 40%. (The 40% here restores the original height.)
  7. This completes the background layer.
  8. Paste the original image back onto the background using Control/Command-V.
  9. Click on the background (enlarged and blurred) layer and Cut (Control/Command-X).
  10. Document > Resize Canvas Unlock the lock and set the width to 250% (or 2500px).
  11. Paste the cut background onto this (Control/Command-V.)
  12. Drag this layer underneath the lower layer.

This should now complete the action and it should all be recordable as a macro.

John

Hi @John Rostron,

Thank, but it didn't really work for me.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:54 PM, carl123 said:

See if the attached macro works

Seems to work on the supplied test image and a few others I tried

Note: Final document size of 2502px (width) and not exactly 2500px is due to rounding up errors in the app not me

Import the macro via the Library Panel not the Macro Panel 

Abdulla.afmacros 2.64 kB · 3 downloads

Hi @carl123,

Thanks for your work,

it works but it need some tweaking as the final size needs to have a width of 1000px.

If you could explain the steps used in this action as even in the edit macro it isn't possible to see the exact values used in equations.

Thanks a lot,

Abdulla Yusuf