You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exposure slider in Develop Persona

Exposure slider in Develop Persona, does it moves the blackpoint and white point? Only moves midtones?  Would it be correct to represent the function of each slider of the basic module in this histogram?588508420_DEVELOPEHISTOGRAM.png.a8a5163145231628bc18d4228b1109d0.png

I worked with Camera Raw in Lightroom for a long time, and I try to find equivalences.

I'm a little confused. I feel that my English is not good.

Thank you.

• Staff

Hi OliverSpain,

Taken from the help file, the Exposure slider in Develop 'adjusts the overall exposure of the image, changes black point and overall brightness..'  So it isn't changing the white balance or midtones from my understanding of whats written.

As for how the Histogram functions and comparing its against Camera RAW i can see the benefits  of having the Shadows ect on the Histogram, something i wasn't aware of  until i'd seen your post.  That would make for a good feature requests and i'm sure i've seen it posted before :) 

The following describes the functionality in Develop Persona of AP 1.8.3. It was the same in 1.7.x and 1.6.x but I don't know about the earlier versions.

The exposure slider changes white point. It linearly scales pixel values and does not change black point.

The blackpoint slider shifts the black point after the exposure adjustment has been processed.

The brightness slider again linearly scales the pixel values after the black point adjustment has been processed, and so it changes the white point again, unlike some other brightness controls that apply a non-linear toning curve which preserves the whitepoint. Non-linear brightening/darkening with preserved white point can be done by a tone curve in the Tones panel of Develop Persona.