You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm putting together a small book of photographs and as a newcomer to Publisher I'm not sure what are considered best practices for working with images. I can give an image a border (a thin rule) whether or not it's in a frame. Then again, I can't seem to assign a style via the Styles palette (specifying a particular rule width and color) to images lacking frames. Using the Styles palette is pretty quick and the results are predictable.

I could be missing something here. There might be situations I haven't encountered in which not having a frame would cause problems in the future. What might they be? On the other hand, is using an image frame simply overkill a lot of the time? (If I want to lock the image "in the raw," that's one command within the Layers palette. But if it has a frame, I have to lock the frame and image separately ... somewhat irritating that there's no option to lock both at once as it doesn't seem possible to select both at the same time...or, is it?)

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

• Staff

Hi MikeA,

I've asked for some of the best uses of Pictures frames from our QA team, as i was a little unsure of the main reasons myself.  With picture frames, they are great when used on Master Pages and you want a consistent layout on a number of pages through a publication, or a series of publications where consistent look is important. The size, location, wrap settings and picture scaling style are set up just once, then used over and over.

The same goes for picture frames when just used on a page, you can duplicate the one frame and its settings are duplicate and its scaling options as well.

I can't think of any problems you'd run into images not in a frame but of course, if you encounter any, please do let us know.

9 hours ago, stokerg said:

The same goes for picture frames when just used on a page, you can duplicate the one frame and its settings are duplicate and its scaling options as well.

The controls available within a frame are a bit easier to see on-screen — I mean, they're indicated pretty clearly. That weighs in their favor even if using them does increase the complexity of the document. I finally stopped using them in preparing the book of photographs when I realized the images were not looking better when surrounded by thin black rules — no need for a copy-able/paste-able frame with a consistent border size and color, then. But when a rule is called for...

Fumbling around a bit with the cropping tool I found that adding a crop leaves the bounding box simply not displayed—then, adding a rule around the image leaves the rule invisible (it's outside the cropped area). Do I understand correctly that if I use the rasterize/crop feature I then completely removing the surrounded (cropped-out) portion of the image?

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic