You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hybrid Swatches Panel + Color guide Panel

Coming from Adobe Illustrator, I am overwhelmed by Affinity's implementation of the swatches panel.
• the colors can't be grouped together
• can't select multiple colors that I want to delete
• no ASE file export option
• no color guides

What I want to SUGGEST is a redesign of the color swatches panel to make it work similar to or even better than that of Adobe Illustrator.

image.png.13fd5190c469406f8c295493b2444ec9.png

I like it to work in a more contextual way rather than looking at a separate panel to change colors.

Also, an option to recolor the entire artwork or selected objects and adding these functions into one panel is superlatively glorious. It'll totally blow Adobe developers' minds.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

+1

You’re not overwhelmed. I think the swatches panel doesn‘t work properly, or at least it isn’t as well thought-out as the rest of the Suite. So in my professional workflow often it is difficult to use. Don’t get me wrong: There are some really useful features like creating complimentary colours from a single swatch. But overall I consider the swatches panel to be the weakest part of the Affinity Suite.

Edited by rumo
Correction

15 minutes ago, rumo said:

The swatches panel is just completely broken

If something doesn't work how you would like it to be, it is not broken. It's just not the way how you would like to have it.

I do not oppose some of the mentioned missing features in the swatches panel. But I find it important (in regard to other forumsters who are reading this) not to give the impression something is broken that is not.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 hours ago, dominik said:

If something doesn't work how you would like it to be, it is not broken. It's just not the way how you would like to have it.

I do not oppose some of the mentioned missing features in the swatches panel. But I find it important (in regard to other forumsters who are reading this) not to give the impression something is broken that is not.

Dominic, I apologize. It just struck me that I was too harsh earlier, even before I read your post. You’re completely right to correct me here and I thank you for that. I rewrote my lines above. It is okay to be somewhat emotional here, but it’s of no use when you’re not helpful at the same time.

7 hours ago, rumo said:

Dominic, I apologize. It just struck me that I was too harsh earlier, even before I read your post. You’re completely right to correct me here and I thank you for that. I rewrote my lines above. It is okay to be somewhat emotional here, but it’s of no use when you’re not helpful at the same time.

Hello @rumo,

I appreciate that you rethought your own wording. Thank you, this is to the benefit of this forum.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

17 hours ago, rumo said:

It is okay to be somewhat emotional here, but it’s of no use when you’re not helpful at the same time.

To echo Dominik's sentiment, I too appreciate your good attitude in this post. In particular the part I quoted above, that is very good general advice. I wish more people could see it.