You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF/APub linked document need a visible and modifiable percentage of displayed size

+1 Agree

PDF/APub? – I'd say every object of any type should have its "Original Size", regardless whether it's an external file or an item created in the current document.

This way not only mis-scaled text – often reported as a bug because of unintentionally dragged by the outer handle of its frame – but, in certain situations, the size of any object may get controlled easier with percentage than with absolute values.

Finally this new feature would ideally include an option to both reset an object to its original size (100%) AND to redefine any size as its 100 %.
It would have a new UI item, e.g. an additional field in the Transform Panel, being visible any time without the need of a user action.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 hours ago, thomaso said:

easier with percentage than with absolute values.

Absolutely, since going back opening the original file to look at its size to check if it wasmodified when importing is a hassle.

unintentionally dragged by the outer handle of its frame

It can also be done copying from another document or from a PDF opened in APub, etc.

additional field in the Transform Panel, being visible any time without the need of a user action

+1000

The UI need a lot of work, since we can't check everything at a glance, when sometimes it's the faster workflow, or when some tool options are hidden and need extra clicks on "»".

Completely agree that the original size needs to be directly accessible, not something to compute using a calculator and current/original DPI figures and current size.  Need to be able to reset to (exactly) the original size, and any % or scale factor readout should be in terms of the original size.  It's OK if applying a % or scale factor in Transform panel is relative to current size, once you have the capability to reset to original size.

• 3 months later...

+1 to this, I'm assumed this was possible and its critical to my work flow.

I'm generating graphs in python and assembling them in Publisher for scientific publication. A huge advantage of embedding the output pdf/eps files that if i make changes to the color scheme in my code, I just rerun it and all my panels will automatically update in my final figure.

However, of course i want the font sizes of all panels to be the same, therefore all embedded files should be embedded at 100% original scale. When I drop them in at first everything is 100% scaled so all font are the same size. But when I make changes to the code and increase the size of one of my panels, it should also make the panel bigger in my publisher document, but instead it is scaled and the font size decreases.

As far as I understand this is currently not possible, but only for .png images?

Update1: seems that from the way the .eps documents are scaled, sizing down the dimensions does keep the correct dimensions.

Update2: If i put the embedded content in a picture frame, the content in the picture frame does resize as I would like it to. By then resizing the size of the picture frame to match its contents I can get the result I'm after. Would be nice to have this automatically done though.

Edited by Jhsmit
update2

3 hours ago, Jhsmit said:

Update2: If i put the embedded content in a picture frame, the content in the picture frame does resize as I would like it to. By then resizing the size of the picture frame to match its contents I can get the result I'm after. Would be nice to have this automatically done though.

Already nice: instead copy-pasting or layer-moving a resource into a picture frame you can simply convert the resource to a picture frame with matching frame size. (Right-click the resource or menu Layer > Convert...)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1