You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dimensioning tool, please!

I wish top add my name and voice to the above requests. I am a structural engineer in UK and I have used Draw Plus for years to convey ideas, provide technical drawings and to illustrate calculations.  I want now to be able to use  Affinity to produce my technical sketches etc so need the dimensioning and scaling routines.  It is a real disappointment that Affinity with all its power and ability cannot provide the basic functionality of dimensioning which all drawing and sketching packages should have.

• 2 months later...

+1 

I'm an Affinity Photo for iPad and Desktop user but I use Designer on iPad only.

If I had this for Designer I'd go for it on the Desktop too for sure. It's really the only thing making me stand because, as an Architect I need this for everyday work and even if the vector tools I use are rudimentary compared to Designer, they allow dimensioning...

Edited by JQL
Incomplete feedback

• 4 months later...

Same here. I’m trying to convince the exhibit company I work for to switch to Affinity products. We need to have the dimension tools to make it worth it. We could save money by dropping down to a couple Adobe licenses instead of a handful. C’mon Serif! Let’s get this done!! 

Edited by Damion Hill
Misspelling

• 4 months later...

Just bought Affinity Designer after researching vector drawing tools for a Mac. Expected it would have dimensioning since that is standard on so many other tools. Couldn't find it anywhere and bumped into this thread looking for it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2021 at 1:55 PM, Jay K Elemenopy said:

Let me be quite clear about this: Affinity, you are losing out on MASS ADOPTION of Designer as a production tool for this ONE SINGLE FATAL DRAWBACK.

True.   I am baffled why a company would invest so much to develop this product and omit such a basic function.  I've emailed support twice in the last year and still there's no word on when this will be available.  I paid for an affinity license over a year ago, but until they add dimensioning to the app I will continue to use Intaglio as my primary drawing tool.   

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm an architect and I think Affinity Designer is almost there in it's ability but I can't use it if I cannot quickly tap on a couple of points and leave a permanent dimension there  as I can in say CorelDraw. It's such a shame because there would be many more users if this simple thing was added. The measurement tool almost does it but then the measurement just disappears when you move to another tool. 

I'm an architect and I think Affinity Designer is almost there in it's ability but I can't use it if I cannot quickly tap on a couple of points and leave a permanent dimension there  as I can in say CorelDraw. It's such a shame because there would be many more users if this simple thing was added. The measurement tool almost does it but then the measurement just disappears when you move to another tool. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have V1 and never use it because of this. I would immediately upgrade for V2 if it had it and was as thrilled with the measurement as I thought it meant a dimension tool.

Coming here time to time just to see if this will ever happen.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody 👋🏼 new to the forum, but have been using Designer and Publisher for a couple of years now.

I just wanted to express my support for this feature request.

But first, I would like to take a second to thank and congratulate the Affinity team 🎊 for their hard work on V2, which saw major improvements and new features, like the vector warp and shape builder tools, which the community (myself included) had been wanting for a long time.

Now back to the topic at hand...

I work for an architectural signage company and we use CorelDRAW to design our sign systems and to produce design approvals for clients, and no one in the office likes it very much. Naturally, I introduced them to Designer and Publisher and everyone loved it. The only problem is we can't ditch Corel just yet because Affinity lacks a dimensioning tool, which we rely on daily 📐 and the frustrating thing is that the Measure Tool is practically it, if only the measurements stayed and changed upon resizing, as opposed to disappearing the second you click elsewhere.

But here's to hoping that a proper dimensioning tool is on its way!

Ps: I will personally buy all these people at work Affinity licenses if the feature's released sooner rather than later lol.

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 7.47.03 PM.png

Hey mate, I don't want to discourage you, but I've been eagerly anticipating this for years which made me frustrated. I work in the sign industry too, and while I find Affinity much faster and more reliable, I can't switch to it because of the dimensioning tool.  I don't think we will see this too soon, we better stick to what we have.

just to keep this post fresh, I also support this dimensioning tools to come to Affinity, especially Designer. I use Coreldraw for 7 years, and IMO this tool doesn't have to be very detailed as much as Corel.

They have "horizontal or vertical Dimension" because "parallel dimension" doesn't work if the mouse is too far away, not necessary. It also has node constraints so if you pull a node the dimension will follow the node, but from experience I turned this off because remarks from customer can make you forget/make mistake. Affinity already have other features like arrow tips and like profiling and the UI is already way better than Corel ( they added variable curve thickness, to somewhere, just this year). And they published the measuring tools. I mean Affinity is "this" close to what we want,and it does not has to be as complex as Corel.

Callout (or leaders) are also mandatory. the workaround is simply use the "dimension" in the Styles panel/studio, then add text to where you want.

Angular Dimension is good to have. My manufacturers doesn't need them anyways but if you sketching furniture it is mandatory.

In short, except the Angular dimensioning, you'll see the only automation/code we need is put a text that has the info of the curve length to the middle of the curve, or to the tip of the curve for callouts.

why Dimensioning especially necessary for a vector design program? I am doing perfume&packaging designs internationally and technical drawing programs like autocad or rhinoceros doesn't have the appeal to show your beauty of your design to the customer, where rendering is too slow and expensive at first steps of design communication. Corel knows this and they are gaining profit because of this.

Animation.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, joining the voice to request the hability to keep the dimensions on the drawing. I am also part of the people leaving Corel Draw, and as architect this is a very important tool for me.

I have several friends that work at the expo industry, we use Corel Draw extensivelly, we are searching for a tool that can fully replace it and seems that affinity can do it, but the measuring tool is an important missing element.

(i use coreldraw since version 2, so, almost 30 years using it)

Edited by Guilherme Carvalho

• 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, billcook13 said:

Adobe has now finally introduced a real dimensioning tool in Illustrator

… and it took them mere 37 years. :D 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2