You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AFPUB 1.8.4.648  OS X 10.15.3

First reported in 1.7 in September 2019, this problem still exists.

There is one unusual thing about "Spelling Options". I encountered one word that was misspelled and clicked "Learn" and the red line underneath disappeared.

I exited the "Spelling Options" and again invoked Spelling Options - it jumps to that same word (last one that was found misspelled) but the word is now NOT underscored. The word is in the Mac English spelling database "en" . The same thing happens after closing the document and quitting AFPUB, then reopening the same document - jumps to that same (not underscored) word. In fact, if you happen to delete the misspelled word (I added a test word "asdfg"), the Spelling Options again jumps to this non-existent word in the text frame where it was originally found (but not after closing and reopening the document).

I would think AFPUB should not do any of that and just simply inform the user that there are "no misspelled words" to be found.

If there are no misspelled words, the Spelling Options dialogue just sits there quietly showing the last word that was learned - doing nothing. Not very informative.

Just a comment:

It is common for new beta versions of the Affinity applications to come out which have not fixed all the bugs that were previously reported. It is also common for a new stable release to come out which did not fix all the bugs reported in the beta.

I dare say there are bugs which are years old, and remain unfixed. If a bug has been reported, and "logged with the developers", then all we can do is wait. The developers set their priorities for fixing issues, and only they know which items depend on other items and cannot be fixed immediately.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 4/24/2020 at 1:52 PM, walt.farrell said:

I dare say there are bugs which are years old, and remain unfixed. If a bug has been reported, and "logged with the developers", then all we can do is wait.

Many of those very old threads that did not have a response from Serif have been closed in a batch, and we were invited to repost the ones that are still issues in the current version. It appears that is what @thetasig is doing. If so, I suggest adding a link to the original thread. Also, some of these may well have started as bug reports relative to a particular beta, but at this point they are now issues in the release. If reposting, my suggestion (for next time) would be to post them in the bugs forum rather than the beta forum.

29 minutes ago, thetasig said:

Well, I certainly can report beta bugs in the bugs forum. I was under the (mistaken?) impression that the beta forum was specifically for reporting beta version-specific bugs. Thanks for pointing it out.

Bugs in the retail version are supposed to be reported in the Bugs forum. Bugs discovered in a beta version are to be reported in the appropriate beta forum.

If the bug was not previously acknowledged by Serif, and the forums have been archived, it's fair to report it again. (That's the situation Garrett mentioned.)

But if Serif has acknowledged the bug and logged it with the Developers it does not need to be reported again in a new topic. It shoul be assumed that, once logged with the Developers, it will be fixed someday. A new report is really only needed in that case if Serif has said that it was actually fixed, and you find that it wasn't.

The situation that Garrett mentioned is an unusual one where Serif realized they had not responded to a lot of beta bug reports previously, and requested that users repost if they were still a problem. If that's why you were posting, my apologies; it wasn't clear from the way you phrased it. And without a pointer to the prior report that wasn't it clear. It seemed like you were simply reporting it again because it still wasn't fixed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt - I've a lot to learn about etiquette in this forum. Especially that I should not make assumptions about how the forum works. There were just a few older bug reports that had been archived and were still outstanding - so I think I'm finished reporting those. I do appreciate your hint that I should include a link/pointer to the prior report as needed.

Cheers!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.