You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use DAUB watercolours, washes, and papers

I purchased the DAUB Watercolour & Washes brush pack and tried to follow the instruction video on how to set up the canvas and the layers to paint. Though the video is referring to a rather old version of Affinity designer and also runs very fast so it's hard to see and I cannot figure out, how to do this in the current version 1.8.3. I am lost and asking for somebody to show me how to get the most of these water color brushes and paper. 

Maybe someone has even a video about this? (please in sloooow motion for a newbie like me).

Thank you so much!

On 4/25/2020 at 12:26 AM, Wosven said:

The year isn't relevant (the use is the same today), what is is that it's explaining the use of each layer and it give a sample file at the end.

I have seen this post and downloaded the file. Though it is not what is explained in the video mentioned. Are you saying, that to use the brushes, all these layers have to be in place first? I doubt this.

What I like to see is an easy to follow 'how to' of the brushes in action with the current version of the software. I am not interested in lengthy explanation of the 'in general' function of the brushes, especially when these are not congruent to other instructions. Maybe I should just try to contact the author of the brushes.

Thank you anyway!

On 4/26/2020 at 6:29 AM, TomJKT said:

I have seen this post and downloaded the file. Though it is not what is explained in the video mentioned. Are you saying, that to use the brushes, all these layers have to be in place first? I doubt this.

Read the post, it's explained, and there's an example where you can see the live filter layers on and each one is explained in the same part of the post:

sshot_-2015-11-26-at-23_30_36.png.0e5a6519352e4b448eb781ceb09845d6.png

Don't read the explanation of the brushes you've bought, but don't wait on us to explain what is already done… reading the author's or the same written here, you'll have to read anyway.

And really, his post is short.

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

Read the post, it's explain, and there's an, example where you can see the live filter layers on and each one is explain in the same part of the post:

sshot_-2015-11-26-at-23_30_36.png.0e5a6519352e4b448eb781ceb09845d6.png

Don't read the explanation of the brushes you've bought, but don't wait on us to explain what is already done… reading the author's or the same writtenhere, you'll have to read anyway.

And really, his post is short.

I read the post, I told you already, so why do you come back to it? You are not adding anything to it. And you are not "us", so I don't wait for you to explain. 

This is the demonstration of how to use the brushes in the video. So which one should it be and if it's like in the video, how do you do this with the latest version, I cannot figure this out even it is "in general" the same as in the old one?

1745616604_daubvideo.thumb.jpg.48dc642a0a9b4c398b81fd9edb71b01b.jpg

Thank you anyway!

4 minutes ago, Ray S. said:

I think the main problem is, that paololimoncelli is using Photo with its live-filters that are not availible in Designer.

Thanks Ray,

that explains a lot. So there must be a way similar to what is shown in the video to achieve results as in Affinity Photo with Affinity Designer. 

I just sent a message to Paolo Limoncelli and hope he will respond, since I am still lost.

Stay healthy, thanks again!

20 minutes ago, Ray S. said:

I think the main problem is, that paololimoncelli is using Photo with its live-filters that are not availible in Designer.

That's why he gives a sample file, since if you can't create those live filters in AD, it can open the files using them, and you can modify their proprieties in AD.

It seems the problem is more to learn to paint watercolors, and it's not the easiest technique since it's working constructing our painting in a specific way to keep light tones and transparency. If you know the technique, it's easier to select the brush according to intend depending of what you use usually with paper, brushes and watercolors.

Other way, I would advise searching and learning more about this technique.

8 minutes ago, Ray S. said:

great information

Live filters from Photo can be used in Designer, text on a curve from Designer can be used in Photo, and linked text frames from Publisher can be used in either of the other two apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

and linked text frames from Publisher can be used in either of the other two apps.

True. However, you cannot see the linkage between the frames, nor can you change the linkage, nor the options to hide/show overflow text.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 6:14 PM, Wosven said:

That's why he gives a sample file, since if you can't create those live filters in AD, it can open the files using them, and you can modify their proprieties in AD.

It seems the problem is more to learn to paint watercolors, and it's not the easiest technique since it's working constructing our painting in a specific way to keep light tones and transparency. If you know the technique, it's easier to select the brush according to intend depending of what you use usually with paper, brushes and watercolors.

Other way, I would advise searching and learning more about this technique.

Thank you!

That solved the puzzle for me! I did not open the file in AD, but tried to reconstruct it.

Since I can open the file simply in AD, I can paint as intended by Paolo. 

Sometimes the little problems seem without solution, I just didn't even consider to open a photo file in designer to get the live adjustments there.

Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, TomJKT said:

I just didn't even consider to open a photo file in designer to get the live adjustments there

One of the great strengths of the Affinity suite’s shared file format is that you can add things in one app and adjust them in another, as noted in my earlier post to this thread:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

One of the great strengths of the Affinity suite’s shared file format is that you can add things in one app and adjust them in another, as noted in my earlier post to this thread:

Yes, as I read again, I realize how stupid I was. Somehow I looked for the live filters in AD. Well, must be Corona...

Thanks again Alfred!