You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ghost line issue with childs

Thanks for that.
Both of your curves had a 1pt black stroke but that removing them doesn’t make any difference.
Taking the Blend Mode Coverage Map for the parent curve down to a ‘flat bottom’ (see attached image) removes the extra lines but the shape gets a bit jagged, so that’s probably not ideal.
Maybe someone else can come up with a better solution before I do.

Annotation 2020-04-26 132800.png

Thanks, yes, there was a stroke, but it was disabled in the Appearance tab, that doesn't make a difference, does it?  image.png.90146c8916079652212b852cb973a818.png

I just found a workaround myself, although it's a little more complicated, it still achieves the same thing:

I duplicated the black element, made it white and put it under the other two elements. Then I moved the white spikes above the original black body and performed a Alt+Subtract action on both (black body + spikes)
.image.png.8f017364008bdf0eb6d0e1e48a6c9a55.png This is the new setup, it doesn't cause any ghost lines to appear.

Here the new exported image:solution.png.b1f80ae7e3c52ae91c43a762d1fb9411.png

(The new file is attached)

I still think, this bug should be fixed, since my original approach should, following the logic of Designer, work and is much easier to achieve

solution.afdesign

Edited by Kuribali
spelling

Sorry, I didn’t think about looking in the Appearance Panel as I don’t use it much myself.
I would say that if the stroke is set to OFF in that panel then it should not have any effect on the rest of the illustration.
I think the ‘problem’ is that the software isn’t quite removing the black fill from the parent layer when the white-filled curve is put inside it. In other words, the white-filled shape ends up a tiny bit smaller than it should be and the black-filled curve is showing through.
I can remember seeing answers in the forums about this sort of thing before but I don’t think there’s a ‘one workflow fixes all’ solution.
Your solution looks better than the original but I detect a tiny light-coloured line at the other side of the shape now, where it’s over the blue. This is what I mean by there’s no single fix.
Perhaps someone else can point you towards the other threads which discuss this.

There is a small performance overhead but I doubt you’d notice that much.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 4/24/2020 at 4:43 PM, Kuribali said:

When I create an object and put another object as the child of the first object, a little line appears, that even stays when I export the image:
https://pasteboard.co/J5jflmc.png

None of the objects has a stroke, so I really wonder where the line comes from. Precise clipping is enabled

Thank you very much in advance!

There can be incorrect rasterisation when an object's stroke is disabled in the Appearance panel.

For each object that has had its stroke disabled in Appearance panel, re-enable the stroke and set its width to zero or click the "No line style" button.

That will make correct rasterisation possible, when exporting to PNG for example, but Precise Clipping (which affects the view only) also needs to be enabled for the display of the vector objects to be correct.