You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible bug in Index "find" command?

Hi, 

I'm using Publisher 1.8.3 on the Mac.

I'm currently constructing an index for a document. I've added an index entry for "Faces" and then used the right-click 'find in document...' to locate other entries I want to tag. 

However, it is not finding many of the examples of that word. In particular I can see that it isn't finding examples with punctuation immediately next to it. The "Find: " in the below image wasn't picked up by it, for instance. 

I don't know whether I've made a mistake somewhere along the line, or there is a bug in the software at the moment, but it is difficult to rely on the "find in document..." for indexes right now, knowing that it is going to miss some important definitions for me!

Thanks

Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 10.13.20.png

You may have inadvertently put a space after "faces "

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I see the same behavior, and it seems specific to the ":" character. Commas, periods, or semi-colons, don't stop the "Find" operation from working, but a colon does.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, Alex White said:

Thanks for verifying. Is there a formal channel for raising potential bugs, or does Affinity just monitor things here?

When you suspect something is a bug in one of the retail releases, post in the appropriate Bug Reporting forum, which will depend on the application and OS you found it on. So, for this one, Publisher Bugs found on MacOS would be appropriate.

You might mention that it also happens on Windows, and you can point to this discussion, too, if you want. You might also update this discussion with a pointer to the bug report.

The Serif staff do monitor this forum, but posting in the Bug forum will get a formal tracking ticket created, I think, and is probably better than hoping one of them sees it here and handles it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Quick check here on Mac OS 10.12.6 and searching for face or faces finds the word with and without the : so maybe it is a Windows vs Mac thing. I also checked with regular expressions on and off.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Quick check here on Mac OS 10.12.6 and searching for face or faces finds the word with and without the : so maybe it is a Windows vs Mac thing. I also checked with regular expressions on and off.

It sounds like you're doing a standard Find, Bruce. We're talking about right-clicking on an Index entry in the Index studio panel, and choosing Find in Document. And that has failed with the ":" on both Mac and Windows.

-- Walt
PC:

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

so maybe it is a Windows vs Mac thing. 

I don't think so there seems to be a problem on both platforms

Additional note, if I try 'Find & Replace" on 1.8.3 with "whole word' selected as an option, it will find a word with a period after it, but not with a colon or comma

Ah, thanks for the (early morning here) clarification. I sometimes need to read better.

6 minutes ago, Alex White said:

Additional note, if I try 'Find & Replace" on 1.8.3 with "whole word' selected as an option, it will find a word with a period after it, but not with a colon or comma

With "whole word" selected, standard Find/Replace finds words followed by a comma or semi-colon or period for me. But not with a colon.

-- Walt
PC: