You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guide lines Bug when using artboards

wrc04

This is happening with a particular document with multiple artboards. When I try to add guide lines they won't let me adjust them to the position I need it to go to. I click on add new... (doesn't matter if it is vertical or horizontal) and I get the red dotted line. As soon as I try to drag it with my finger or Apple Pencil, it immediately goes solid blue and won't let me select it again. If I try to use the manual position adjustment in the lower tool bar it does all sorts of weird things. If I try and drag my finger to the right or left you can see the pixel numbers acting all jittery and the guide line will move but then disappears as soon as I lift my finger. If I tap on the position adjustment and manually type in the position I want, nothing happens or it jumps to a different artboard. It seems that when I have artboard #1 selected it works most of the time the way it should but as soon as I choose any other artboard then problems start to happen. I tried creating guide lines in random documents without artboards and it seems to work fine. I created a blank document with two artboards to test and when I had the second artboard selected and tried to add guide lines, Affinity let me add and adjust the horizontal line but every time I tried to add a vertical line it appeared between the two artboards and as soon as I tried to drag it into the second artboard it went solid and I couldn't tap on it like what it happening in the later situation. 

I have an iPad Pro 12.9 3rd gen. Affinity Designer version: 1.8.3.2

• Staff

Hi wrc04,

Unfortunately there is a few issues with using guides on multiple Artboards on the iPad as you're seeing. This is something we're aware off and with development to be fixed. I will get your comments passed on, thanks for letting us know.

• 1 month later...

This bug is killing me! There’s another related problem with existing guides when moving artboards — the guides don’t follow the artboard, but move in a magnified ration to the position of the artboard. Say if I move an artboard to the upper left, the guides will move even further up and to the left, as if magnified. 

• 1 month later...

This bug is killing me as well! Guidelines and margins move in unpredictable ways around the art boards, they can be neither moved nor deleted! You can see in the attachment, those are margins and guides for the art board called “Interno” but they go all around the screen and other art boards.
Any expected date to solve it?

F28B804A-395A-4C30-AB3A-822E6828EB10.png

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this is an intended feature or a bug. 
not so much as magnified positioning as said in the thread but this is my experience.. 

created multiple artboards to isolate groups of the guides on the same design. Setting precise sub-mm guides so using position input directly.

Guide being set ignores the current artboard boundaries and settles on the left-most  (if a vertical guide being added) art board available in the layers, as a ref point. I’d expect guides don’t go beyond the current art board. Additionally I would want them to be colored as well from art board to art board.

so my remedy is to set all art boards to the same ref starting point. Not ideal.

using iPad version 1.10.19. Not tested for horizontal guides nor the desktop version yet.

• 7 months later...

for the record, there are still issues with guides when using artboards. It seems to be better than when this was first posted but i am currently having an issue with setting a specific pt on all the artboards afterthe first one. if i am on the second artboard and type 12 pt it will jump all the way to 12 pt on the original artboard. i can get around this by dragging the guideline manually or position your artboards stacked rather than next to eachother.