You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spelling does not learn during check

Using 1.8.4.648 beta AFPUB; 10.15.3 OSX Catalina on a MacBook Pro 16.

When I moved from one computer to another, the document I was using complained about many spelling errors.

However, the bug is this: as you run through the spell check, and "learn" a word, it does not learn that word immediately, So when you encounter the same word again, it is still flagged as a spelling error. This happens with all of the words so if I have a word "rec" 20 times in the document, you have to "learn" 20 times as you go through the spell check. This did not happen in earlier (much) versions of AFPUB - when you learned a word, all of the same word became "spelled correctly" during the spell check.

Now, I encountered some information on an Affinity Forum about adding new dictionaries:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98911-faq-how-do-i-add-additional-dictionaries-to-affinity-publisher/

This post mentions that the dictionary words are stored in the ~Library/Spelling.  In my case all the words I want are ALREADY in the "en" (English) file. But - AFPUB does not seem to recognize those words.

So on the original computer, once learned, never bothered again. But on the MacBook Pro 16, you have to go through all of the words multiple times until you reach the end of the document. Then the words are all learned.

One little artifact - mentioned in a very early beta bugs forum is the "Spelling Options" (when you have already learned all the words you need) always goes to the last word learned - even if that word has already been learned. I had suggested a message instead of "no more misspelled words" or something to that effect.

1.8.4.648 learns spelling just fine for me, on Windows. So I'm not sure if you've found something specific to Mac, or whether there's something specific to your document.

Do you have a small .afpub document you could share where it doesn't work for you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well, actually, I don't think I have a small document at this point. But I may try to create one when time is available. Also wanted to stress that the software does learn the words if you go all the way through the document. It's just this odd behavior that you have to keep learning the same word over and over and over as you go through the document once. So one might just set up a multi-page document with a repeated misspelled word and check ti.

25 minutes ago, thetasig said:

So one might just set up a multi-page document with a repeated misspelled word and check ti.

I have. Works fine.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Glad to hear that - it was an unusual situation. I even checked the two computers' "en" (English) files in the Spelling folder and each had all of the new words in the document to start with. Somehow, the system did not recognize those files during the spelling check. Where those words were recorded internally as they were learned I have no idea. Do you, by chance, know what file AFPUB uses to record new words on a Mac?

The only difference between the two computers is that one had a local disk document. The second computer used the same document, but it was moved to a network volume along with a "collection" folder for Resources. Opened the document by dragging it from the network volume to the laptop.

Probably nothing special here - I'll report back if I learn anything.

10 minutes ago, thetasig said:

Do you, by chance, know what file AFPUB uses to record new words on a Mac?

On Windows, they're recorded in a separate file called dictionary.propcol, and are not document-specific as far as I know. (That, in itself, is a problem in my opinion, because I might have a word which is perfectly fine in one document (and thus "learned" there) but which is not fine in another document using the same language. So there really should be a document-specific way of learning words, in addition to a syste-wide way. And having a document-specific way would also allow transferring a document to someone else, along with its learned words.)

There's a FAQ that shows where Affinity stores user defaults, and maybe you can find that file (or a dictionary.dat file) in the appropriate spot on your system:

But that won't help explain why you have to learn a word multiple times.

-- Walt
PC:

On 4/24/2020 at 6:52 AM, walt.farrell said:

So I'm not sure if you've found something specific to Mac,

As far as I can tell, the Affinity products are using the OS-provided spell check features on the Mac, so it would make sense that something like this would be platform-specific.  I don't believe Windows has an equivalent to this so Serif would need to provide a different solution there for spell checking.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:17 PM, thetasig said:

as you run through the spell check, and "learn" a word, it does not learn that word immediately,

I tried this on 1.8.3 (release version rather than beta) under High Sierra, and as long as the word is not capitalized, the squiggly underlines disappear from all of the lowercase versions of that word.  If I "learn" a word that is capitalized, the lowercase versions of that word do not immediately drop the squiggly underlines that show them as misspelled, but if I right-click on one I get the option to "unlearn" the spelling, so it is internally recognizing them as being spelled "correctly" but is not updating the display to reflect this.

I just checked the current beta (1.8.4.648) and see the same behavior there.  I also see this behavior for "ignore" spelling (as opposed to "learn").

I do *not* see this behavior in other applications which are using the OS-provided spell check system, so this does seem to be a bug in the Mac versions of Publisher.

If you are seeing this behavior for words that are capitalized the same way then there may be something specific to your installation or it may be related to the version of the OS?

On 4/24/2020 at 10:10 AM, walt.farrell said:

That, in itself, is a problem in my opinion, because I might have a word which is perfectly fine in one document (and thus "learned" there) but which is not fine in another document using the same language. So there really should be a document-specific way of learning words, in addition to a syste-wide way.

My opinion is that what you describe is the essence to the difference between "learn" and "ignore." A very quick (or maybe too quick) test seems to indicate that words that are ignored are still ignored when the application is quit and reopened. Therefore, you basically do have a way to accept words on a per-document basis.

7 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

My opinion is that what you describe is the essence to the difference between "learn" and "ignore." A very quick (or maybe too quick) test seems to indicate that words that are ignored are still ignored when the application is quit and reopened. Therefore, you basically do have a way to accept words on a per-document basis.

Thanks!

That's interesting, and I can confirm that Learn seems to apply to all documents, but Ignore is specific to the document where a word was ignored. So, If I Learn a word, it's accepted in all documents. But I can Ignore a word and it will still show as misspelled in other documents.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 5:14 AM, Gabe said:

Can you try the latest beta and see how it goes?

I created a new document, dragged out a text box, and entered this into the box:

Tesg tesg tesg Tesg tesg

I then right-clicked on one of the lower-case words and chose Ignore Spelling.

All but the very first word lost the squiggly underlines - the first word still showed the problem.

I would say it is improved, but not quite perfect yet.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.