You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[APh] Keep embedded documents as embedded after transformation.

Hi,

Right now in Affinity Photo when you place an embedded document and use the perspective tool it gets rasterized. You can no longer double-click the layer to change the file.

Same thing in Affinity Designer, there is not much you can do other than simple skew.

/Fjord

• 1 year later...

Bumping this topic to let developers know I'd like this as well. Perspective/Mesh distortion of embedded documents would allow for the creation of nice product mockups like you see in GraphicRiver/CreativeMarket and a ton of other places. It would boost the acceptance of Affinity Photo by a lot in my opinion.

Thanks!

My bad. I didn't see the word "Photo" when I first read your post!

Affinity Photo already has a Mesh Warp Tool. Have I misunderstood something else here? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi LCamachoDesign,

You can use a Live Perspective Filter (menu Layer -> New Live Filter Layer -> Perspective Filer) to achieve this (the embedded document will remain editable). Currently there's no live equivalent for Mesh Warp distortions.

I've just tested this and it works... perfectly. It actually works better than in Photoshop because any change reflects real time in the mockup, and the perspective can be easily readjusted or removed. :) It also can do a duplicate of the perspective layer, place it on the top of the stack and hidden, so that users can easily find and edit the Embedded Document. This is all very well done. :)

I've also noticed that Affinity has a Filter Layer for displacement maps, that is a surprisingly advanced function that I did not expect it to have!

I suppose my feature request is just a Live Filter Layer for Mesh Warp. That should take care of most, if not all, mockup creation needs. You guys should pitch the existing functionality to top GraphicRiver and CreativeMarket sellers, and perhaps write a feature article in Envato Tuts?

As a proof of concept, attached you'll find a banner mockup I converted from an existing Photoshop mockup file I've found here: http://mockups-design.com/fence-banner-mockup/

Mockup_Fence_Banner_1.afphoto

• 2 months later...

I came here to ask precisely this question as I noticed it was rasterising the layer. I'm not sure whether the most common use case would be to rasterise or not, but for me it seems logical that you would want to use non-destructive methods on embedded documents. Could the assistant switch to live filtering if you try to do a destructive transformation on an embedded document, with the option to switch back if you were actually going for destruction?

I mean, I can always rasterise manually before transforming, if that's what I'm going for.

• 2 years later...
On 12/12/2016 at 2:40 PM, MEB said:

Hi LCamachoDesign,

You can use a Live Perspective Filter (menu Layer -> New Live Filter Layer -> Perspective Filer) to achieve this (the embedded document will remain editable). Currently there's no live equivalent for Mesh Warp distortions.

@MEB This also just solved the main issue I was having, as I like to setup templates for proofing.
I agree with @HenrikMay I also suggest the tool in the toolbar use this feature natively instead, and have a button in the dialogue box to commit it if they want to use the tool destructively. So by default I think it will save most people from having a headache.

If we could get this feature to work with liquify as well it will open the windows for people to start using mock-up packs. which could save many designers a lot of time on presentation documents for things like curved surfaces etc.

• 1 year later...